Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Blew out my voice. Can't even speak

ericgamlielericgamliel 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
edited April 2018 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Hello Everyone! Pleased to meetcha.

I was watching Ken on YouTube before I purchased the course. I discovered "It's the LA!" bright ping to grow the passaggio. I discovered the open throat, supported sound.

It was like finding a new muscle at the gym. I was so excited, I started belting really loudly, exercising to grow my passaggio. I belted like that . . . for two hours and totally blew out my voice.

The next day, I couldn't even speak or make a sound. It's been a few days now. And I'm slowly getting my voice back. I'm still missing a few notes at the top end of my chest voice, in the passaggio zone around E above middle C. (I'm a "tenor")

I screwed it up so badly, I don't know if I'll ever be the same or reach my full potential.

I bought the Course and I'm doing (very gently) some of the exercises, hoping I'll fully recover and even get better, perhaps "better than anyone else". LOL!

Please let me know if you've had similar experience and what happened. Details, if possible.

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    I did the same thing when I started. On my fourth day I could barely get a word out my voice was so bad.
    I also rested my voice for a few days, and now everything is good, and it helped me learn what NOT to do ha ha.
    I still can't belt out the songs I would like to, but I am getting there, and doing it SAFELY. (No more scratchy sounding voice)

You'll get there. Work the course as recommended, and pay constant attention to what's going on inside you when you sing. Work smart as well as hard, and you just might end up being able to "Sing better than everyone else". ha ha

Peace, Tony

• Options
    Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @ericgamliel

I'm sure you'll be fine, and yes that is very common for us overachievers. :wink:

Until you fully understand vocal volume, I would very much recommend a free app for your smartphone called "DecibelMeter" (or something of the like)
    With it you can actually see what your output is in real-time.

So try this: Start the app and hold your iPhone about 8" away from your face and do your practice scale work. The game is to keep it fairly steadily around the 88 Db mark. That gives you decent volume without over-singing, and a real-time notice when you exceed that. You can go quieter than that if you like, just not over it.
    The game is to introduce consistency of volume-output at an early phase.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • Options
    cuyahogacuyahoga 2.0 PRO Posts: 11
    Thanks for the heads up! Right now I am just getting some average volumes while moving through the exercises. I tried the demo during the LA section and decide to hold off a bit.