Home Off Topic

Trying to pick the better key for my voice

vadaszvadasz Pro Posts: 11
Hello,
My name is Zoltan Gaspar and this is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm posting the right way in the forum. So excuse me for that.
I'm a rock/metal vocalist, but this this time I'm doing a song that is different, out of my usual stuff. I'm trying to decide on the key that would fit me better for this song. I would be curious on what you think so I will upload 2 different versions in different keys. Its just a demo, so dont mind the mistakes and if Im off pitch. Im just trying to decide on the key this point. Usually I sing in English but this particular song is in Hungarian (my native language). please give me a feedback on which version (key) fits me better from the two. I appreciate it.

Lower Key:
https://soundcloud.com/remotemusicians/lower-key/s-rYJt4
Higher Key:
https://soundcloud.com/remotemusicians/higher-key/s-kQQ33

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    I listened to most of the first one (lower key), and when you started to sing on the second one (higher key) immediately it sounded better, and more natural to me.

Peace, Tony
  • vadaszvadasz Pro Posts: 11
    Thanks a lot for checking. Someone told me that the lower was more natural and the higher my voice sounds strained, and that really confused me. So I hope I can pick the right choice ! :)
    videoace said:

I listened to most of the first one (lower key), and when you started to sing on the second one (higher key) immediately it sounded better, and more natural to me.

Peace, Tony

Thanks a lot for checking. Someone told me that the lower was more natural and the higher my voice sounds strained, and that really confused me. So I hope I can pick the right choice ! :)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I agree with Tony. Immediately the impression is that the higher key has more energy and makes a bigger impression.

The lower key version doesn't have the same singing that is at 3:52 in the higher key. You sing in falsetto there (high version), and that specific part is a little weak on the higher version. It seems to be left out in the lower version, although you sang most of that in full chest voice.

I have gotten to the point that I avoid lowering keys like the plague. The emotional impact of original keys is really compromised when you drop keys for the sake of the vocals. But that means you need a strong voice in the high range. Going from powerful chest to weak falsetto isn't a good option. You either need strong head voice or a well-oiled chest voice to pull off the peak of some songs.

So normally a choice like this needs to be based on the bridge of the song where it comes to a climax. Sometimes it's on the vamp at the end where the gymnastics take place. But what key you can pull off the hardest part of the song is what should make the final determination. No need to sound big and bold through the song and then weak on the money notes.
    Hello, and thank you so much for the detailed explanation. It really helps me a lot !!!! . On the Lower key version I just left out the falsetto at 3.52 by mistake since I was doing so many takes, I did not pay attention. Since this is an original song that little falsetto I can keep or take out, depending on how will it sound on the final version. But I think I can make that stronger than I have it on the High version. This time I was focusing more on experimenting to see if the higher key is better, overall. But based on the feedback, everyone said to me to stay with the key. Besides, the falsetto part do you you think the rest of the vocals are ok?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    The higher one sounded much more exciting to me, until the falsetto, where it sounded weak.
    edited June 2018
    Hi,
    I tried a couple more takes on the falsetto part at 3.52. Can you check if its any better? Pls.

It says this when I click on your link

"This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed"
    edited June 2018

https://soundcloud.com/remotemusicians/new-bridge-falsetto/s-25DX3

Not sure now, I reset the link so try one of the links above.

Thanks a lot!
    edited June 2018