Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

My 1st post Demo (Lauv - Paris in the rain)

Hi guys, according to my 1st email, I've been a pro member for a little over 3 years now & occasionally peek around the forums when I'm seeking advice or tips. I realized that I've been using my non-pro-member account on here so I probably missed out on a lot of great content. Before starting ken tamplin academy 3+ years ago, I've learned some basic foundations in how to train the voice with other programs, came across most vocal exercises, online guides, & youtube videos. I did these for about maybe 1-2 years although very minimally, I didn't consider myself a good singer at the time of course but did at least receive a good comment every now and then. Anyways, fast forward 3 years or (2.5 yrs prob. a safer bet) with the program. I've been both inconsistent and consistently working on my KTA version 1.0 Pro version lesson tracks averaging maybe 2-4 hrs per week for the last 2-3 years. There are some weeks I don't do anything and then there are weeks where I've successfully worked them in 7hrs per week. After finishing everything, on most days, I do the volume 3 for men's track back-to-back easily without struggling except for certain high notes if I didn't take much care of my voice that day (eg. coffee, dairy products, eating right before, not being as hydrated, etc). If I have extra time or want to sing a high note song, I'll spend another 15-30 minutes doing the head voice tracks. I've tested my range around many times and I think I'd be considered a Baritone with a (C2-C7) vocal range (+-) a note or two. My voice has been described as soft, sweet, and even airy at times? Like with anyone else, no one truly loves their voice when they start and although I've learned to appreciate and even like my voice most of the time now (watching my own cover videos over and over again), I've never received a proper evaluation or feedback from other group of singers that I can look up to. I've received quite a few compliments (some from friends who are singers I like), but like anyone else, I'm still curious to see where I really stand from a group of respected singers also. At this point in my skill level, idk how much further I can go without throwing myself out there so all criticisms are welcome. I want to continue growing as a singer, being more vocal, and just to start contributing more to the forum.

So with all that tldr intro, here's a couple of points in the video i'll be showing.
1.) This was recorded on my phone with no added effects done 5-10 minutes of rest prior to finishing volume 3 or at least most of it
2.) I was and am still slightly sick or have a sinus infection w/ mucus &/or allergies (but thought this was still an accurate representation of my voice
3.) This was done roughly 2 weeks ago

Any comments, tips, criticisms are welcomed and encouraged. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HBpAqJdew

Comments

• Options
    Hi @rice.hero :) I'm not qualified to give you the kind of feedback you've asked for (except to say that I thought your voice was indeed sweet, and it was nice to listen to :) ). I just wanted to ask if it was possible to hear another recording of you, as the music in this clip overpowered your voice a lot, making it difficult (for me, at least) to hear it.
  • Options
    rice.herorice.hero Pro Posts: 4
    Hey Sophia, thanks for your feedback. Any comments are welcomed as I'm just trying to get more of a general opinion and to see if there's something I'm doing wrong/ or not doing that I could improve on. Also, I never noticed if the music was overpowering it or not but I'll keep that in mind from now on. I do have several shorter covers I do on my channel so I'll post another short clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXB_1DTH7FE
  • Options
    Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    i hear lack of support, and i would work on the glottal compression when you are doing the scales in a low volume, hope this helps, you could post the scales to see how you are doing them?
  • Options
    rice.herorice.hero Pro Posts: 4
    Thanks Gaston, I'll review that section tomorrow & see if I notice anything. I may also look into recording the scale. Appreciate it!
  • Options
    DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited June 2018
    I think your voice is kind of breathy, which makes your voice lose power and actually it can cause damage to your voice over time. That can be fixed with better support like Gaston said.

All the best,
    -Diego