Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

How NOT to sing like...

SanninoSannino Pro Posts: 66
Ok, so I thought I'd start my own series :) Just joking!

Anyway, I've been meaning to share some demos in the forum for some time and finally had the time to record something properly last weekend, so here they go..

Can't help falling in love - Elvis Presley

I recorded this one last Sunday and, on Monday, I discovered that Ken had this one on Youtube. I almost gave up posting! Ken's version is in D (probably the original key, I never checked) and mine is in G. Quite higher but I wanted to reach some higher notes. Just me, on guitar and vocals.

Sentimento 2012

This is a song written by a friend and I totally revamped the original arrangement. We recorded the original version back in 1998. The song is almost too low for me to sing and I should have recorded it one step higher but, in the end, I liked the outcome. Again, just me (on guitar, bass, keys, vocals and drum sequencing). Lyrics in Portuguese.

These are the first good recordings i made after starting KTVA (9 months ago). I have already noticed many aspects I must improve and it would be nice to have my fellow's view to compare notes.

Try to enjoy it!   :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Hey, Fernando!

It's really great to finally hear your voice!  I feel like you're an old friend, and at last I hear your voice!

Good Job!  I like the sound of your voice, your vibrato, your tone...

I've never heard "I Can't Stop Falling In Love With You" that high, but you sang it with conviction and feeling.  I also liked "Sentimento".  I think you sounded fine on that one, it actually suited your voice well, I don't think it's too low for you.

I know what you mean about how after you post a public demo you hear things you could improve upon... But it's a good feeling to get your voice out there, in front of people.  We tend to want to hide our voice from possible criticism, but recording and posting is a fantastic way to move to the next level of your journey.  You give it a good try and then listen to yourself and to what others have to say about it. 

You learn, you grow, and you move to the next level, again and again.  When we hide and fear exposing our imperfections, we end up holding on to those things we can improve and fix, especially with a little help from our friends! 

This is a great way for all of us to get off of our good intentions and into action, actively moving forward on our vocal journeys.  Record, record, record, and post!  You'll be amazed at what it does for you.

If you're worried about it, listen to the Stage Fright Webinar, and then get busy!  It's FUN!  It will BOOST your Progress!  

Stuck in a rut?  POST A DEMO!!! 

Good job, Fernando!

Bob

• SanninoSannino Pro Posts: 66
    Bob, this "knowing people you've never met" is an interesting and common internet era thing. :)

I couldn't agree more, recording yourself is an assured way to learn and improve. That's something I learnt back when I was a young guitar student and apply to this day. Actually, I am kind of stuck in building the bridge and I´ll post a sliders demo soon.

Thanks for your words and encouragement!
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    These both sound really good. My only suggestion would be to open up on some of the vowel sounds. For example, you sing the word "with" with more of an Ee vowel. Try it with more of an Eh sound. This can be used on all I vowel sounds, to help keep that throat open. Great work.
    Thanks, Scott! I will keep that in mind. :)
  • donmckindonmckin Enrolled Posts: 25
    Very well done!
  • GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140
    Hi Sannino,

You know, I'm really glad that you didn't give up posting your version of "I Can't Help Falling In Love with you", because it is really beautiful. The guitar arrangement is perfect and I can really hear the emotion in your voice. You really made the song your own. Great work!

Wow! Thanks for your comments, guys! I really appreciate it!