Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Singing problem

I have a question. I have been practising my breathing for months now but I realised that When I sing on notes that I tend to struggle with, as the pitch goes up and I push air into my vocal cords by pulling my belly button in towards my back, my lower ribs at the side of my centre upper abs gets tight. Also I noticed that if I belt for a while and I my push air into my vocal cords, my voice gets tired. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @Maryanelmi1999 hi, I could be wrong, but by the expressions that you are using of "when I sing on notes that i tend to struggle with" "pushing the air into your vocal chords" sounds to me like you are blowing your chords, NOT that belting is something wrong, but belting is something that should not be taken lightly, it should be done safely. plus you shouldn´t belt a note if you struggle with it, you should train it where you can manage it, not push it
    There are also many factors like if you study doing scales, how many days a week, your brightness in the sound, if your mouth and throat are open while you do scales, all this things should be really taken care of, Btw KTVA covers all this the course

hope I was of help
  • Options
    Maryanelmi1999Maryanelmi1999 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Thanks for replying. I heard that when the pitches goes up you need to push air into your vocal folds by pulling your tummy in slightly. But it sounds like from what you are saying that I might be doing it wrong because when I do push air into my vocal cords my intercostal muscles get tight. Am I doing this right? What do you recommend?