Home Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos

How Robert Plant did that???

On a Led Zeppelin reunion in 2007, when they did "Kashmir", Robert Plant did very hard thing vocally. Here's the link to the video from official Led Zeppelin's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD-MdiUm1_Y. At 7:03 Robert sings the line: "when I see the way you stay, yeah". How he did this? Is it because of diaphragmatic support?

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    Robert Plant has never really had good vocal technique, but in this part of the video, sounds supported and with some good distortion but he cracked a bit on the word "stay" since he didnt maintain his throat open on that particular word, but to answer, you can achieve this with good support open throat, vocal tone, and glottal compression
  • WhitesnakeWhitesnake Member Posts: 131

Robert Plant has never really had good vocal technique, but in this part of the video, sounds supported and with some good distortion but he cracked a bit on the word "stay" since he didnt maintain his throat open on that particular word, but to answer, you can achieve this with good support open throat, vocal tone, and glottal compression

Thanks for a good analysis! I always was wondering how Plant made his whole career when he, like you said, never had good vocal technique? Yet he did such an awesome things in music. Rolling Stone put him on the 1st place for the best rock vocalist of all time. You know, it's like someone, who never played football, starts to play and do it better than professional players and becoming one of the best football player of all time. How's that?
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited August 2018
    @Whitesnake dont get me wrong, im a huge fan of robert plant, it sounds terrible ti say someone like Axl Rose or Robert Plant, (which im a fan of both) are able to get to those notes and say they dont have good vocal technique, this is because they do learn how to sing to some good extent, and they get the range, and flexibility and stamina, and not only that, they learn how to write great songs and know how to work and maybe for sometime to make a team with their bandmates etc they become professionals, but in order to maintain the voice you have to understand how the voice works, this is why most of the metal singers from the 80s cant sing the way they used to, if they can still sing now, i know it sounds terrible to say that, i know, but its the true, im even gonna post you a video Ken just put on youtube talking about this same subject, he even talks about freddy mercury, hope this helps

put it this way you might go to the gym and get strong enough to lift some weights but if you dont lift them right, in time you will injure yourself, so you might get away with lifting for sometime but, you could do it without getting injured,

that´s what I mean by "him not having good vocal technique" and with this said, yes, you can say he had some technique but not the enough to maintain the voice, and in rthe meantime he managed to do amazing things

https://youtu.be/GMuvMGxI-sQ