Home Recording Techniques and Gear
Options

Mixing standards

Every book, magazine, article on mixing I've ever read always state the same rules. Vocals center, bass center, etc........ but I'm sitting here listening to Rubber Soul by the Beatles, and those standards definitely don't apply.
I understand that they had limited technology, and tracks but their formula on Rubber Soul seems to be all the music on one side, and all vocals on the other, but they did it so well it sounds really good that way.
Did people get comfortable with these so called standards today that creativity has been lost? Back in the day of analog, the recorder, and mixer was almost like an instrument itself in the way you could manipulate sound. With a basic 4 track reel to reel you could reverse tracks, create echo, reverb. You could do some really cool stuff with them. It seems that with the convenience of new technology experimentation has gone to the way-side. Even Pink Floyd stopped doing the creative mixing, and started using the "standards".

Anybody have thoughts on this or favorite non-standard techniques that they like to use?

Peace, Tony

Comments

• Options
    Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I haven't hugely delved into it yet, but I have been listening to Rick Beato on YouTube. He really delves into how many of the best albums were constructed in the studio. You might find some cool info on his channel?
  • Options
    ContraltoLivesMatterContraltoLivesMatter Member Posts: 124
    ultimately its up to if the mix sounds good. If you apply annolouge summing to your mix it probably will be only on the Voice, Kick Drum, Snare Drum, and Bass (upright, or guitar style) It makes things centered. But if you Sum "In The Box" you will have to decide what you want in the centre and begin mastering your mix from there. My tip is Mix, and Master at the same time. Most annolgue gear can be found "In The Box" an outboard compressor works well. They say annologue summing makes a "Mix sound better" Um...Not even close to true, if you use Any outbord effect that converts from digital to annologue back to digital then it will change/ color the sound. The Only clear difference is if you wash the mix through an Ampex tape machine, and mix it down from there.
    The best sound is one that is recorded so well that in the mastering phase it only needs a volume bump, and a compressor mostly.

Different kinds of "Panning" are used all the time in different, and imaginative ways i.e Michael Jacksons music, The Corrs etc.

As for you question about the actual mixing, if it sounds good to you, to a test sample of people then, and your happy with it go for it. The Studio is essentail another intrument, however; there is no set rule, rules get broken everyday and then a new book is released :)