Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Yawning sensation and fatigue

bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
Hi all,

Been away from the forum a few weeks, but still here :)

I have a question regarding the yawning sensation. When you sing higher and higher (especially in chest) you want to make more and more space using those muscles for yawning. On the top range (towards and during the last modification), i can feel that i am maximizing these muscles, and they can fatigue. Doesn't damage me, doesn't make me hoarse or anything. Really those muscles. I tend to feel it's normal, as keeping those muscles maximized will simply tire them, but it does not 'damage' you voice.

Is this normal? am i right in thinking this? do others experience this?

Thanks a lot,

Ben

Comments

• Options
    Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Hey bro, welcome back!

Your right, those are muscles that we're still developing, so they take longer to catch up stamina-wise to our naturally powerful Chest voice.

I get that fatigue as well, and it isn't all that dissimilar to a biceps pump or something like that. When I start getting that feeling, I do 'the yawn' and stroke my throat a bit to relax everything back up before continuing.

So the short answer is YES :wink:
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hi Phil!

Thanks so much for your response. I was pretty sure about it myself, but it's great to hear from you about it.
    The fatigue is indeed very similar to any other muscle that's being depleted during exercise. Of course, that makes sense, it's all muscle.

Thanks again!