Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Testing one two

This is just a test. I'm just testing my process chain from front to back to see how the sound is from front to back.

Not sure if it's my computer settings, but does it sound too bassy to anybody? On my recorder it sounded fine, and the sound on my recorder is pretty true so........ Opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJmbt2uuns&t=26s

Peace, Tony

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    To my ears, the overall music isn't too bassy. I don't hear much bass guitar in the mix. The vocals are a little bassy and should have more upper mid/lower highs presence. Nice guitar sound.
  • I'll have to try to match the sound of my recorder to the sound on my computer because what you described is what I heard on my recorder. When I listened to it on my computer the music was really bassy, and muddy sounding to me.

I appreciate the help Bob.

Peace, Tony
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @videoace when the melody goes down try to keep the sound bright, otherwise if you unbrighten the tone it´ll be way harder to go back up again on the melody, the next breath, so the advice would be really exagerate the bright tone! :)
  • @Gaston_Jauregui I'll keep that in mind. For some reason it didn't seem like I was getting enough weight into it. It sounded thin, and Phil Lynott had a heavy voice, and so do I so I'm not sure what the problem is there.
    When I did the vocal I was holding the mic in my hand, and the sound fluctuated quite a bit, but I am going to re-do it, and put myself in the picture that's with the audio. It should be cool.

@Diego I've got a cool vid coming your way too for our challenge. Maybe a couple of more days.
    How is your challenge coming?

Peace, Tony
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @videoace Been kind of busy recently. But I am slowly getting stuff in there.
  • no hurry. That song is a rough one.
    I just finished up the guitars for mine. will do the vocals tomorrow, and the following day shoot the vid.

Peace
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    edited August 2018
    @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @stratman

Need help on a couple - few things. First, I'm still trying to get an even sound between my computer/recorder. On the recorder everything sounds fine mix wise, but on my computer the music is over powering the vocals. Is anybody else hearing that?

Two, I've been having issues with tone. I've been trying things the last few days. Does it sound any brighter? More stable?

Third, my head voice is horrible. I'm finding it impossible to maintain breath support on the the really high notes which you will hear. It's way too hooty sounding. I can come out of it in a strong voice, but I can't seem to ease into it, or just go at it.

If you don't want to sit through the music, and just listen to the singing the time coordinates are: 30:00 - 1:15, and again at 5:17 - 8:27

@Diego This isn't yours, just trying to work out some issues.

Thank you in advance

Peace, Tony

https://youtu.be/EVHguIVmKj8
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    The vocals do seem a bit subdued... other places in the beginning seem more up front. You might want to use a compressor to level it all out?
  • I'm really not liking this new computer. Specifically windows 10. I've had three computers before this one, and never had these sound discrepancies before.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks Phil.

Peace
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Could be an inferior sound card in it... or maybe there is a driver update for it possibly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    edited August 2018
    @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @stratman and anybody else interested

OK guys, one last time. and I'm done bugging. I PROMISE!

I do believe that my sound issue has been solved. Please don't ask, it was something so silly I'm embarrassed to say what it was lol.

Anyway, you can hear my voice much clearer now so that leaves my tone, and head voice issues left on the table.

What specifically can I do to improve both, but when you answer please be specific, I'm just an average Joe. For instance, if you say make it sound brighter, what would you recommend specifically to achieve that, or if you say breath control, what do you recommend I do different for each parameter that may be mentioned? I think you guys get it.

The time coordinates again if you don't want to sit through the music (it's long) are:
    00:30 - 1:15, and again at 5:17 - 8:27

Thanks again guys

Peace

https://youtu.be/HNw_CGW3uug

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited August 2018
    The tone and the recording sound good. The vocals are clear and crisp. Take a little bit of the girth off of the low notes (from your voice, not the mic EQ), so you won't have so much to shed when you go up top.

The mid-notes need to go more forward, make them nasal = in the mask as you go higher.
    To get rid of the hoot, crisp it up. More cord closure in head voice, and put some forward face into it. Aim at the hard surfaces. The high zeppy sounds are kind of like a witch cackle. Forward in the face, and up in the nasal pockets and sinuses where they resonate. Make it Very very bright.
  • @highmtn Thanks Bob I'll start working on those things today. I know I can hit those high notes because I do it in my exercises. Hopefully your tips will finish getting me there.

Any tips on how to maintain a good breath support on those high notes? it seems like the air just escapes really fast. Is that a chord closure thing? or mainly just holding the support? What makes me think it's more breath control is when I go really high I can feel, and hear my voice wobble, and is on the verge of losing control.

I feel like i'm right there, but can't get to the finish line if that makes any sense.

Thanks again for everything Bob. I don't know what most of us would do without you, and the other guys/gals around here to help us out.

Peace

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    It's pretty good so far.
    Probably vowel mods can help you get there easier and help you with that. I could definitely hear you were out of breath on some high parts. Try to make them more nasal like Bob said.
    You're getting close to the finish line you just need a little more running to do.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    hey @videoace around min 7 your voice was a lot more clearer in general both in chest and head, thats the sound I would aim for, what I would tell you is that you are trying to over emphasise every sentence and maybe thats the way Robert Plant does it, cant remember, but the point being is, that when you try to emphasise everything you say, you over pronounce it, and when you do that, you will end up opening and closing the throat, you have to keep the throat open at all times, the best advice I can give you in order to understand this, is the Vocal tract shaping exercise, when you go Alaaaaa U O A a a a , at first you´ll tend to close the throat in the UH vowel and will sound like a coyote, but when you imitate Ken in that exercise you will sound like the cartoon "bird man" which you might now the sound im talking about, and that will get you to a better sound eventually

• @Gaston_Jauregui I think the reason I was over pronouncing was because of the compression I was trying to use. I think over compressing like that made my cords want to stay in a closed position. It felt, and sounded kind of sticky in a sense don't you think? Like on a compression unit. the attack, release, and threshold were all too tight.

I'll try your's, and Bob's suggestions, and see if I can get past this so I can bug you guys about the next thing ha ha ha.

Thanks a lot Gaston

Peace, Tony
    edited August 2018
    @videoace are you in Volume 3 already? if not, I would not mess too much with compression in the first place, since you havent built enough muscle memory for the open Ah and youll probably tend to shut your throat
  • Mind if I message you?
    also, if you are already in volume 3, still would compress the minimum as ken makes it unnoticeable