Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

hoarse voice after singing

Hello, everyone! Is it okay that after I sing for about a 20 minutes using a lot of call register, my voice becomes hoarse in the speaking register? Like I'm caught a cold or something. But it goes through in a 5 to 10 minutes.

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Nope, that is generally an indication that you are oversinging/singing too loudly. Cut 'er back and make sure you are adequately hydrated.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    This will really ruin your voice over time, and even during your singing as you get it after 20 minutes.
    KTVA teaches you to avoid this situation, and become an even better singer whilst doing so.

Don't let it discourage you though! It's something we can all learn.

All the best,

Ben
  • WhitesnakeWhitesnake Member Posts: 131
    @Furious_Phil thanks for response! I try as hard as I can to translate the tension from the throat to my diaphragm. No matter what I do, I can't get that support. It's very confusing sometimes, because you never know if you're progressing, regressing or not moving at all. Because night after night there's no changes. Or it's like the very notorious "moving targets", when yesterday I've been able to direct the tension to my abdominal and today I can't do it, although I'm doing the same thing with the same exact sensation. Very confusing.
    @bentk Thanks for response! Geez...I'll try my best to don't let this happen again.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @Whitesnake ,

I agree it can be pretty confusing, as there seems to be no shortage of moving parts to address.

To be honest, that's pretty much the reason why I bought the course in the first place; was to have the path/progression laid out in front of me.
    I just found it easier to throw my all into a "known-good" path, as I despise wasting my time trying to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I agree completely with what Phil said here.
    It's really tough to coordinate all these moving parts, but you can learn it, and then it will become muscle memory for the most part.

Please don't let anything discourage you though. I used to be terrible at singing, but i've stuck to KTVA for almost 2 years now. It takes a while, but slowly you will learn it, and grow your voice.

All the best,

Ben
    Thank you guys for your support! I'll not give up. And when the tough times come and I want to quit, I'll remember your words! Today I will practice again and hopefully I can figure it all out!