Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Leaving the KTVA Forum

Hey Guy's,

Thanx for being So kind with me here at the KTVA - Forum page. I am Leaving the forum, my voice is just no good. I'm always slightly under pitch even when singing against an Eb Tuned Guitar. I know that working at singing can make it happen, I just realize I'd rather just play my guitar to it's fullest, and get a singer if I need one to work with.

Enjoy singing, and I wish you all the best

Caroline

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    We'll still be here if you change your mind. :)
  • ContraltoLivesMatterContraltoLivesMatter Member Posts: 124
    I tried for an hour to sing poisons fallen angel, and no matter how hard I squeeze my diaphram I cannot stop falling short. It' kind of re enforcing my mind I can't be singer. as I am a Pro Level Guitarist, I need my voice to be a solo artist and waiting 2 years to work my voice is not really an option. I wouldn't mind if I could get my voice in tune, and develop as I go...however: it's not happening. Kens Techniques are working on So many levels, however; not my pitch that much.
  • If you are going to play guitar anyway, I would still try to match my singing notes with the guitar notes. Practicing a little bit is better than no practice at all, and it won't hurt you. (unless you're screaming or stressing the voice out.)

Peace, Tony

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    It most certainly is a time commitment. Like anything in life, to get really good at something, you have to commit the time. (like guitar)
    For example, my basic vocalist timeline was something like this:

0-6 months:
    My bassist regularly brought in singers to "allow me to focus on guitar" (read that as a veiled 'please stop' from him)

7-12 months:
    Visiting singers stopped being brought to our rehearsals, able to sing for 2 + hours without fatigue

13-18 months:
    Perform without stage fright, confident and focusing on nuances and style
    I'm not going to give up just frustrated I put so much h time in. Like I will again today
    As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day, not will your voice be.

I too am primarily a guitarist, and I know that there are many techniques out there that will require somewhere around 100,000 reps to ingrain them into my muscle fibers. (i.e. Yngwie, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert type stuff) So I work on those phrase by phrase till each is ingrained, then I move to the next phrase... rinse and repeat until done.
    Singing difficult songs or song passages are no different, and should be approached in the same methodical manner.

Just my $0.02

Cheers,

Phillip
    Certain keys a thing or not?
    Not sure I understand the question?
    Do you mean that certain keys are more difficult?
    If so, I typically drop the song a step or so and sing it gently till I fully understand it. After that phase I start to lean into it more, and eventually start raising the pitch till its to original, or flat like Hendrix tuning (which is where my guitars stay anyway.
    But when there are those inevitable tricky phrases, I tend to spend allot of times on those to get down the timing, inflection, pitch or what have you.
    The further you go, it seems the less time it takes to ingrain new things...
    I like to play in Eb Tuning because I'm used to it, My best Keys are A, G, D lots of song in those keys ha! E is getting better so is C
    I prefer the Eb tuning for 25.5” scale guitars. They just play better and sound better that way IMHO.

I don’t really worry about keys anymore, unless it puts me in an extended sojourn into the mid-higher 5th octave... that is still pretty tiring for me, but I know it’ll get better in time 👍🏻
  • ChrisFromWürzburgChrisFromWürzburg 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    edited August 2018
    Hi Caroline,
    not hitting the right pitch has nothing to do with a good or bad voice (whatever that means). A good vocal technique will help you with continuouse pitch - but:
    In my opinion a trained ear and the transmission from the ear to the voice is the key here. Hitting the right pitch is not that much dependent on what you do with the diaphram. The pitch is "created" in the vocal folds - but you can't change that manually!

The solution: Develloping a more precise idea of the pitch you want to produce, guides your Body to the right transmission. "A precise idea" means recognicing and understanding the Note and it's environment (in equal temperament, different environments produce actually different pitches of the same Note).

Develloping your vocal technique will affect that transmission definitely. But I'm sure some precise exercises for your tonal perception might help you

Hope you're still reading this.

Chris
    Hi Chris I fixed this issue already, found. A sweet spot in my diaphragm placement. Starting to do some guns and Roses stuff totally cool.

Thanks for your advice, all info is helpful 😊
  • ChrisFromWürzburgChrisFromWürzburg 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    Cool! Glad you made it :)
    It's alot of work. But it's worth it
    Practice, got to buy the course. So excited for it. Wonder if a 3.0 is planned? Is it better to hold off
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It took years to put 2.0 together. There is no 3.0 in the works, presently.
    Cool. I know it was a silly question. Excited to get the course...what kind of things are in it Bob?
    It's all laid out in the web site: https://KenTamplinVocalAcademy.com/
    Tons of stuff. Enough to keep you busy working on your voice for years to come.