Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Treatment for strained vocal cords

Vince159Vince159 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
edited August 2018 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hello Everyone,

I was playing with my 4 y.o. grand daughter yesterday, and she was playing monster. She asked me to make a monster yell really load, and I kinda gave it all I got; now my voice is extremely raspy and feels very injured. I'm gargling with warm salt water, and drinking warm tea and honey. I looked for a thread on this topic and didn't find one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The screams were load and raunchy...so there's that at least. Plus I did not direct them too closely to her little ears, so no worries there :)

Comments

• Just make sure when doing your warm up exercises that you do them a little lighter than normal if your voice is still raspy, and also try to keep the notes clean/clear, and the raspiness should go away fairly quick.

Peace, Tony
  • Vince159Vince159 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Thanks Tony. I think I'm gonna give it a day or so before going back to exercises and workouts, then I'll follow your advice.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @Vince159 I find that if I over exert myself I do a VERY light, VERY quiet work out very shortly after I have strained myself (like within 8 hours ish) and I will actually feel better. It is like when you over exert yourself running, just jumping in bed and not doing anything to "rest" makes things worse not better. Stretching and doing light exercises helps WAYYYY more than do nothing.

I would suggest you jump on it right now if you can, so that you muscles don't tighten up and bind. That would be really bad and make it take a lot longer for you to recover. my 2 cents.
  • Vince159Vince159 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Thanks HuduVudu. This being the first time it happened to me, I naturally took the other course, resting. I was gargling with salt water. Tea with honey etc. I'm doing much better now. I learned a few things, including your advice; and I'll take measures to keep it from happening again as well.