Home Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos

Rating a song

gaurab552gaurab552 Member Posts: 16
I have one old song that I like (of a non-English language). It's a different flavor to music and I don't think there are English songs that sound remotely similar.

I was wondering how the folks here would compare this song to the western songs. I'd love to hear your thoughts about the song and the artist singing as well.

This is the link of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smNL6OWO7U4

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Compare is a big word in this context. What type of comparisons are you looking for? Genre? Rhythm? Composition?
  • gaurab552gaurab552 Member Posts: 16
    ...or just give your general thoughts on the song, that works too.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    I fear questions of musical taste, it is like commenting on politics, too easy to offend. I don't imagine that I am the only one that feels this way. So I will pass :)
  • The singing is a lot like R&B here in the west. It's soft, and light with a lot of vibrato.
    As far as the music goes, it's not that far off from music that native American Indians used to create minus the stringed instruments. Most Native American Indian music is wind, and percussion.

Peace
    @HuduVudu I won't be offended though.
    My intent is just to hear your honest thoughts and feelings about the song, so I would in fact appreciate that.
    @videoace I appreciate your thoughts.
    Also, I know this is a subjective question, but how good is the song (in your taste)? Do you like the song at all?
  • It wasn't really my type of music. I prefer songs a little more uplifting, and energetic.
    Maybe If I knew what the message was it would give me a different understanding, but for the most part i like music a little more aggressive.

Peace, Tony
    @videoace Is the singer any good?
  • Yes, he seems to be a good singer for his style.

Peace
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    The melodies and sound quality remind me of movies that were made in the 1940's when films were mostly black and white. Not to say that that makes this music style inferior in any way. As you say, it's very hard to find a comparison. From a global perspective, this is as enjoyable to its fans as Beatles to a Babyboomer.
    @highmtn Would it be a stretch to believe that the singer singing this song is as good as anyone can get?
    (PS. He is regarded as the best where I'm from)
    Also, can you recommend me some singers that sound remotely similar/good?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    He's very good at what he does. The style is unfamiliar to me, so it doesn't "grab" me. But It's obvious that he is good at what he does. If you want to hear a singer that in my opinion was totally awesome, listen to Eva Cassidy.
    @highmtn Not to get into the nitty-gritty details, but it's fascinating to me that you think it's obvious he is good at what he does. How so? How can you tell?

Will definitely listen to that singer.
    He's singing in a particular style, and he's flawless at maintaining that style. He might flounder on an AC DC song, but that's irrelevant, because he might not even like AC DC. There is room in the world for all styles of music and all genres.
    @highmtn How big of a deal is it to be flawless at maintaining that style of singing? Is it uncommon at all?
    Are singers in usual flawed in their style of singing? How many singers are flawless at what they do? All? Almost none?
    Everybody has flaws. It's just that they are really hard to see or hear in people who have worked very hard to minimize their flaws.
    edited September 2018
    @highmtn Sorry I'm basically an amateur, but what kind of flaws are we taking about here? Not being able to hit the right notes? Or is it a lot more nuanced than that?
    What makes somebody flawless in this particular style of singing? Does that have anything to do with the voice being incredibly soft and a lot of vibrato?...but then again, there are many singers that have similar talents.

You look like you know what you're taking about, so I would really appreciate your answers. This singer is considered that greatest by all, but I fail to distinguish exactly what that is that makes it so. Also, this is the same singer that could hit tens of notes in just a matter of mere seconds (like I posted on another thread, in which you commented), if that helps.
    It's simply a high lever of accuracy and agility, along with great vocal range capabilities and pleasant tone characteristics that demonstrate a vocalists command over their voice. Consistency in breath management is another quality that is universal, spanning all genres and language barriers.

If you're good, you're good, in any language. Different individuals, or even ethnic or regional preferences can come into play, but vocal skills transcend language. We all are entitled to our own personal preferences, however.