Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Daily Vocal Training

Hey, guys. I'm a student (I'm still in school), and I'm wondering what the ideal amount of time to devote to vocal lessons would be, e.g., 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours?

Thanks, guys. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @Mr_Theo It depends on how aggressive you want to be in your learning. That said there are two limitations that you need to keep in mind. First, attention span, you MUST be paying attention during your practices. That means you don't do anything else and you don't let your mind wander off. See how long you can hold your focus on what you are doing and set up your practice lengths based on that. I am not kidding about this. Proper focus (attention) on what you are doing is paramount. This is also true of any other thing that you are practicing. Second, physical limitation, you have to understand the difference between pushing your voice and straining your voice. It is like the difference in working out a muscle group. If you push the muscle to far it won't recover fully the next day and then it is unusable. Your voice is the same and pushing your voice to far is going to manifest itself as hoarseness and a sore throat like you are sick. If you work your voice you will feel it as fatigue not pain. If you really do it right you will have a sore core section and very little fatigue in your throat, but at first you are going to mostly feel it in your throat. One more thing you need to be consistent about how much you practice each day. When I first started out I practiced 3 times a week Mon., Wed., Fri., for two hours. A good start is one hour a day for six days a week. Don't do four hours one day then a half an hour another day and then two hours another. This will not help you build your voice.

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    Mr_TheoMr_Theo 2.0 PRO Posts: 23
    Thank you, this is incredibly helpful information, especially since before now I have only been practising for about 45 minutes a day, and even then, my practice sessions were very disjointed. Thanks again. :smiley:
  • Options
    HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    All good and gl :)