Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Starting Point Feedback

Heyo! Never taken a voice lesson before and just started the program here. Would love to hear some feedback from you all as I have no idea what I am doing :smiley:

I tried to choose a song that used as many parts of the voice as possible so that I could comprehensively layout my starting point.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmqg8h7tldiqu7d/SIgn of the Times - Starting Point.mp3?dl=0

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Consistency will be something you will want to pull together for your voice. The difference between your chest voice and your head voice is so contrasting as to sound like 2 different people singing the song. It might sound better to consolidate your registers into a more unified/complementary sound. Your vibrato is a bit on the rapid side. That works for some people, and for others it can be a bit much, but that's a stylistic choice. If that's what you like, then that's ok. Towards the end it's needing more support and consistency in the voice. That will come with time and work on Ken's exercises.

You've got a great starting point. Just start paying strict attention to what Ken is laying out in the course and give it your best shot. You'll see some big improvements in your overall professionalism.
  • reallydannyreallydanny 2.0 PRO Posts: 32
    highmtn said:

Consistency will be something you will want to pull together for your voice. The difference between your chest voice and your head voice is so contrasting as to sound like 2 different people singing the song. It might sound better to consolidate your registers into a more unified/complementary sound. Your vibrato is a bit on the rapid side. That works for some people, and for others it can be a bit much, but that's a stylistic choice. If that's what you like, then that's ok. Towards the end it's needing more support and consistency in the voice. That will come with time and work on Ken's exercises.

You've got a great starting point. Just start paying strict attention to what Ken is laying out in the course and give it your best shot. You'll see some big improvements in your overall professionalism.

Thanks so much. This was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. The vibrato on the verses was not intentional, I just lost control of the sound - which I am guessing is a support issue.
  • endrits079endrits079 Member Posts: 32
    wow I really loved it , I am no expert but sounded good to me

wow I really loved it , I am no expert but sounded good to me

No need to be an expert, thanks :smile:
  • kyrowekyrowe Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    sounds great to me, keep going. if you are this good just starting I can't wait for more.
  • Vince159Vince159 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    You have a really good sounding voice. With all the lessons and practice you're going to be great I bet!
    Thanks for the kind words all.

On another note. I started doing something that is extremely unpopular here.. I have been doing Volume 2 workouts for about a week and today, I tried the Volume 3 workout.

The Volume 3 workout felt really good - like I could do it again. The range was no problem. Very little tension. Everything felt good and open.

Is there any specific exercises from Volume 3 that I could record for you guys so that I can be put in my place?

Again, I have never taken voice lessons before and know that I am probably crazy. However, I just wanted to check-in. If I am able to do these Volume 3 workouts now, why not do them and just review all the videos from the previous volumes? Put me in my place please @highmtn :tongue:
  • You say you've never had lessons, and you want to jump into volume 3 after a month?

I would strongly advise against that. The reason I say that is because during all of these exercises, there are processes taking place that you aren't even aware of until it sticks out.
    You can do what you want, but I think it's a mistake to move on that quickly. You should still be on volume1 to get a good understanding of all the techniques. It's not just about hitting the notes. There is a lot of technique involved if you want to be able to sing safely, and with stamina.

Peace, Tony
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Just because you can do exercises does not mean you know all of the things you are supposed to learn from Volume 1 and Volume 2. It's really up to you, though. If you choose to not spend much time on your foundation, you may build your roof and not worry about your foundation. But I wouldn't recommend that.

I don't think we've heard any exercises from you, so maybe we're not in a good position to advise you. I know I wouldn't be advising anyone else to jump to Volume 3 from Volume 1.

I spent a year getting through Volume 3, and then Ken sent me back to Volume 1.

It didn't kill me. In fact, I finally got all of the concepts that blew past me when I initially went through Volume 1 for 4 months.

This is a course that you can go through very slowly and deliberately, or just blast through and then ask "Why did I not get the results I wanted?"

There is a lot of growth that takes place as you do the exercises as intended in each volume, and this takes time.
  • endrits079endrits079 Member Posts: 32
    can you make a new one I wanna see how much you have improved ?
    @endrits079 I recently got over pneumonia, which devastated my voice. However, I did post an updated voice cover. I am not too proud of it (the lighter part of my head voice is not fully back yet). It's linked below - maybe I'll redo Sign of the Times next week when my voice is more back.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/comment/54964#