Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

2 part discussion

Here is a song I'm working on. I'm digging the music, but not the vocals so much. Thinking of trashing it. Thoughts?

Second, If you want to critique what little vocals I have on it (short verse) the time is 1:19 to 1:50

Appreciate the thoughts for either one.

Peace, Tony

https://youtu.be/Tdszd5F5gP8

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Tony,

Its really a very cool / moody piece!
    The music progression is quite etherial, sort of like Pink Floyd... without really sounding like PF.
    The guitar/synth sounds were pretty cool and added to the overall textural feel of it.

Your vocals have good ping, albeit a bit nasal... allergy season perhaps?
    I also noticed that you tend to gliss up to the target notes instead of just nailing them directly.
    Is this on purpose for this piece?
    When used sparingly, it can be an interesting tool, but if overused it detracts from what I know you can do.

I think it works, and just needs some polish to finalize it.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • The vocals I am going to sing different. I'm just not feeling it.

It's changing seasons, and my sinuses are going crazy.

I think I will try to just hit the target notes instead of sliding up to them. It may give it a better sound. I'm still experimenting. I really don't have much experience yet singing my own songs.

I just laid a solo on it thats pretty sick (in a good way) so I'm going to keep it, and polish it up.

Thanks Phil. Always appreciated.

Peace
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Cool... cool!
    You've got great grain to your voice now, so you should use that to punch the song right in the junk!
    When I have the music pretty much done, I typically do an exploratory vowel scat over it trying to discover hidden melodies and tap into my subconscious. I find it sounds far less contrived that way.
    Many times I listen back and have moments of WTH was that???
    (As I scramble for the rewind to note down the craziness that I just pulled out of myself LOL)

Its a really cool technique to help develop vocal melodies and hooks :+1:

Cheers T-Man
  • I will try that. Hopefully sometime next week it will be complete.

Thanks again Phil.

Peace.
  • @Furious_Phil check this version out, and let me know if the vocal is closer to what you were talking about. (track is a throw away due to the weather)

I also changed the music just a touch. Let me know what you, and anybody else thinks about either one.

Thank you in advance.

Peace, Tony

https://youtu.be/LbcK8JHtWDk
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited October 2018
    Hey Tony!

The production is much better on the new version, well done. Quite creepy at the beginning with those voices... what is the song about?

The singing is also less nasal on the second version. Remember to keep 'space' in your throat. The EE vowel does need some space otherwise it will become nasal or pinched. I am not sure, but when you sing 'Train' you end on an EE vowel, and it seems as if there could be more 'space' there. I am not totally sure, but it seems more nasal/mask-heavy than it needs to be. For the most part, you seem to find a pretty good balance between nasal resonance and other areas.

Best i have heard from you so far man. A few pitch issues on some of the peaks, but not far off.
    You are improving man. It's been a while since i heard something, think it was Jumping Jack Flash. I hope to do some recording myself in the near future too.

How long have you been doing the program actually?

Thanks for sharing!
  • The song is about passions/desires/addictions.

The vocal on this one wasn't all that great. I'm still working out some bugs in it, but getting closer to the results I'm looking for.

I've been doing the program just a touch over a year. I'm on volume two. I probably spent a year on volume one.

Thanks for the listen, and your thoughts also. Much appreciated Ben,

Peace, Tony