Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

New Student - Alexis

AlexisAlexis 2.0 PRO Posts: 11
I'm a brand new student and I'm really excited about the program! I love to sing, but I need to extend my range, get my voice trustworthy, learn not to hate the sound of my own voice and shake my fear of failure. I know it will take a lot of hard work, but I can't wait to get started!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Welcome, Alexis! It's great to have you here!
  • Welcome! You came to the right place.

Peace, Tony

• AlexisAlexis 2.0 PRO Posts: 11
    Just curious, is there a way to chat with other students who are online or does everything go through posts in the forums?
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    Welcome Alexis! you are gonna love the forum!
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @Alexis you can post to their wall by clicking on their names. You can also PM them via the same route only look for the small email icon.
    Good to know, thanks! There's so much here on the forums I'm hesitant to post anything for fear of duplication. I need to spend some serious time reviewing all of the new member discussions. I love that there's an active community here actively helping one another on their journey.
  • RoxyRoxy 2.0 PRO Posts: 107
    Welcome Alexis, you will Love this Forum the members are very helpful! Have fun!!!

Roxy
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Welcome Alexis,
    I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge of the course as well as the interactions on the forum. Be sure to befriend the search function as there is a metric ton of information logged on here :+1:

Cheers,

Phillip
    OMG @Furious_Phil isn't kidding about the search. I just discovered it's power yesterday ::forehead::

The little box all the way at the top of the page, you have to scroll up to get to it. It's on the right. It makes life a ton easier.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    It is indeed the index key to the vocal library of Alexandria :+1:
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Alexis,

also from Germany a very warm welcome. And like the other forum members wrote "You will love this forum.". And as Phil (@Furios_Phil) told you: you'll find so many answers on so many questions. This is a real big library of people sharing the same passion as you.

My personal tipps: keep calm, be patient, you will understand everything after a certain time. Ken and the people here in the forum explain the important things so well. You will certainly succeed.

Start singing and stay healthy,
    Marco (Doc Ramadani)
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I'll admit I'm still a bit daunted by the wealth of knowledge and buried treasure I'm finding in the forum. Today's search will be finding more details on exactly how you're supposed to work through the program, and how to determine whether I'm using chest voice or head voice. While I figure that out I've been going through the starter audio exercises daily.

I'm pretty sure I'm straining my voice when I sing, and I need to master this open throat concept quickly to help prevent that.
    @Alexis there is a pdf that comes with the course ... read that! I didn't find it till way later and it could have saved me a lot of time if I would have read it first.

You don't have to do the full range of scales that are in the workouts. I would go up to the point where you start to strain and then maybe do one more and then let it run until it comes back down the other side, and pick up from there.
    I read the pdf on day one, but I'll go back and reread it again. Seems like every piece of information gets more and more valuable when it's revisited! I did just re-watch the "How to do Volume 1" video...but it was much more high level that what I'm looking for today.

Appreciate the suggestion on the scales, I'll take that into consideration as I go forward.
    One last question from my introduction page. I'm planning to overcome my fears and post a video on my beginner scales to get some feedback. Which section of the forum does this go, Getting Started or Student Progress, and are both of these limited access (i.e., only active students can get there)?
    @Alexis I think that New Student Demos should be fine.