Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hey from Seattle

Hi all,

My name is Mark. I'm a newbie. I'm enrolled in Ken's course and just over a week into it. I was briefly doing another course before this and it was R&B focused and I feel like I've found home with Ken's singing style and detailed course and plan. I'm into grunge (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden), 80s hair metal (Whitesnake, GnR, Great White, etc), post grunge (Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch) and then a bit of the more commercial metalcore like Parkway Drive. I play guitar but am out of practice.

I've really enjoyed many of the student demos Ken has and really appreciate Gabriela Gun taking the time to do those demos with Ken. Awesome!!

Oh and I'm 44, so yeah, I'm old skool.

Regards,

Mark.

Comments

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hey Mark!

Oh man, you are in for a ride! KTVA can get your voice in the best shape that it can be.
    It needs patience and dedication though. I say this regularly, as it also fits into my own personal experience with KTVA. This doesn't just come over-night. It's like learning an instrument, but more difficult to keep note of your progress.

In my opinion you made the best choice with the PRO pack. It has everything. And the forum is always here when you need some help or just want to chat about stuff.

All the best and enjoy the journey,

Ben
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Welcome, Mark!
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Welcome aboard Mark!

You picked a winner by both the course and the level you got into.
    Its allot of work, but its pretty rewarding... just not overnight :wink:
  • LinusLinus 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    Hi Mark,

I´m new here as well so I thought I´d say hi. I´m 41 and I like to sing similar things to what you mention. I do have to admit that I sometimes find it a bit frustrating though as some of those songs (not to say many) seem to require a quite well trained voice. Atleast for me this is going to take some dedication to get the songs to sound good...

Cheers, Linus
  • AlexisAlexis 2.0 PRO Posts: 11
    Hi Mark,

It's great to see some other new introductions. I'm into many of the bands you mentioned. One of the many reasons I choose KTVA is that I'm really curious to learn about some of these singing techniques and to find out how achievable they are for "divas." I recently saw Breaking Benjamin/Five Finger Death Punch and Parkway Drive in concert. Both incredible shows! Especially amazed at how Winston McCall is able to get that sound without any apparent impact to his voice. I realize most of these guys are very well trained, and I know all of this comes after a strong foundation, so it will be a while before I'm ready to experiment safely.

Alexis
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    Hi Mark welcome! I too am an 80s fan :) Guns n roses, Aerosmith, Chris Cornell and im 37
  • RoxyRoxy 2.0 PRO Posts: 107
    Welcome Mark, you will Love this Forum the members are very helpful!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Mark,

we almost share the same name - my name is Marco and I am from Germany. And we share another thing: we are both 40+! :smile:

Welcome Mark, good to have you here. You will find a ton of information in this "Holy Grail" for Singers. And be sure: it works!

Looking forward to hear your first recordings.

Kind regards,
    Marco (Doc Ramadani)