Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

Sore throat today, Gig tomorrow

Hey guys last night I sang at rehearsal and this morning my throat is a bit sore. I have a gig tomorrow night. My question is.....should i still do my daily vocal training today or rest my voice?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Do a VERY light version of your warm up, say for an hour today. Then rest your voice until tomorrow, would be my suggestion.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I know this post will be too late for you, but i'm going to add some info anyway:

Ken talks about some products and nutrition which can help with a sore throat for instance. And generally help you staying in good condition. Look up the video on his youtube channel.

Most importantly, it's important to know why you have a sore throat. Do you get it regularly after singing, or the day after singing? That might be a sign of over-singing, or pushing too hard. over-singing generally means using too much volume, and you can do it at various amounts. From straight out shouting, to just slightly over-singing. Too much air going passed the vocal cords will dry them out. Support and air-management is crucial, and only using the amount of volume you need. I am not saying you are doing anything wrong with singing, and you might not be over-singing at all. But it is probably the most common cause of a sore throat, or going 'hoarse'.

If this was only a one-time thing, unrelated to singing, it could be anything. Talking too loudly can also cause this. However, it's important to pin-point the cause when you can.

Good singing to you,

Ben
  • rickhodge88rickhodge88 STREAMING PRO Posts: 16
    bentk said:

I know this post will be too late for you, but i'm going to add some info anyway:

Ken talks about some products and nutrition which can help with a sore throat for instance. And generally help you staying in good condition. Look up the video on his youtube channel.

Most importantly, it's important to know why you have a sore throat. Do you get it regularly after singing, or the day after singing? That might be a sign of over-singing, or pushing too hard. over-singing generally means using too much volume, and you can do it at various amounts. From straight out shouting, to just slightly over-singing. Too much air going passed the vocal cords will dry them out. Support and air-management is crucial, and only using the amount of volume you need. I am not saying you are doing anything wrong with singing, and you might not be over-singing at all. But it is probably the most common cause of a sore throat, or going 'hoarse'.

If this was only a one-time thing, unrelated to singing, it could be anything. Talking too loudly can also cause this. However, it's important to pin-point the cause when you can.

Good singing to you,

Ben

Thank you so much for that!