Home Vocal Health and Wellness

how singing helps stuttering?

WhitesnakeWhitesnake Member Posts: 131
edited October 2018 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hello, everyone! How to overcome the problem of stuttering with the help of singing? I heard that singing is really helps. It has something to do with the open throat technique?

Comments

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited October 2018
    I actually stutter myself. Not as bad as it used to be, but i can get 'stuck' on certain words, which can really break up the flow of my speech.

With singing, you usually don't stutter at all. You follow a rhythm. Your mind adapts to it in a different way. There might be some more thorough explanation for it, but it is a well known phenomenon. Maybe that's one of the reasons i like singing so much?

It's important to stay as relaxed as possible during speech, and using abdominal breathing. I don't know 'how' you stutter, because there seem to be differences between people that stutter. Like i said, my issue is really getting 'stuck' on a word, not being able to produce it. Some people repeat certain parts a few times in a row, that's how most people see stuttering. However, i don't know if singing helps you overcome stuttering. I have found that confidence is a really important factor to reduce stuttering. The less you are 'aware' of you stuttering during speech, the less it will probably become. Being aware of your stuttering makes it worse in my experience.

hope this helps!

All the best,

Ben
  • WhitesnakeWhitesnake Member Posts: 131
    @bentk thank you! I stutter too. Not bad as it was earlier too. Sometimes I repeat the same part in a row. It bothered me before, but now I don't pay too much attention to it. And I noticed that people around don't pay attention to it too.

But I was wondering how this thing works. It's like pharyngeal spasm that's happening. So logical solution to it - relaxing your body. Especially relax the throat, so the sound doesn't get "stuck". I tried to relate this to what Ken said in his video about glottal stops or when you actually close down the throat and squeeze the sound. I tried to relate that to stuttering but I'm not sure if it's correct.

Maybe the principle of Open Throat Technique is a sort of key to it, I don't know.