Home The Singer's Lobby

Throat feeling itchy and started coughing after warm up.

XHellChrisXHellChris Pro Posts: 98
edited June 2017 in The Singer's Lobby
I was doing fine with doing the warm ups everyday until today. I was doing the 2nd lip drill exercise of volume 1 halfway until my throat started feeling itchy and started coughing all of a sudden, why is it so? Is it a sign that I should take a break and rest for the day?
I only went through the audio workout once today and only stretched my chest voice. I haven't went through it the second time to practice my passagio. Is there any way to compensate it if I'm resting for the day? Like maybe only go through the audio workout tomorrow to balance things out?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You don't want to overdo it tomorrow for the loss of today.

I have had bad allergic reactions to pollen the past few days. I don't know what it's like where you live, but where I am there is record-breaking pollen levels, making everybody itch and sneeze, with coughs and runny noses. It comes and goes, depending on the weather and whether you're indoors, outdoors, in air-conditioning, etc...

So your vocal disturbance could be from something besides your singing. If it is your singing, it most likely comes from using too much air or too much volume. But you may not be having problems from your workouts at all. Only normal problems that affect the voice and your respiratory system.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2017
    I had this too... I would add to Bob's post with "Hydrate the heck out of yourself while you're practicing"... doubly so when you're performing.
    Also, if you have a feeling it might be allergy-related, try using something like Reactine or something like that.
  • ericgamlielericgamliel 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    I have been experiencing the same problem. Two weeks ago, I was doing chest voice warm-ups. I was doing that "bright ping" sound, trying to grow my chest voice/ passagio zone. And I started coughing.

It's been going on for two weeks now. I took a day off yesterday, to see if it will go away. But this morning I went to warm up. After a few mins. the coughing comes back.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    you @ericgamliel and @XHellChris are probably getting sick or with allergies, make sure you drink a lot of water
  • XHellChrisXHellChris Pro Posts: 98
    @ericgamliel Yup. You're probably about to fall sick. Just drink more water and take care of your voice , eat the right food too!
  • ericgamlielericgamliel 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    edited July 2018
    @highmtn @Furious_Phil @XHellChris @Gaston_Jauregui
    I've been hydrating the hell out of myself. And I totally agree this is a good idea in general.

On the other side, I haven't gotten sick. I'm not sure how to tell if it's allergy related. But my experience so far is this:

As much as I hate taking breaks, I tried taking ONE day off, here and there. And staying light on the sound when I practice. I noticed some improvements. My voice just sounds way better after a rest day. But with a few hours of practice, a little cough starts creeping in. So I back down with the sound. I gargle some water, drink some tea. Rest for a few hours, or just call it a day.

I hear (and believe) that the coughing only causes further damage. I'm trying just to avoid further coughing. I'm wondering now that one day might not be enough. Maybe I should rest until the little tickle in my throat is completely gone. Any thoughts on taking TWO consecutive days off? Maybe three?

Is there an ideal rest period? Or a rule of thumb?

Update: I took the day off yesterday 7/7 and I'm soooo tempted to launch into vocal warm-up routines and spend the day singing. My larynx is just bit sore, throat just a bit ticklish. But sticking to this idea that vocal rest is important and giving it another day (today) to rest. Will fill you guys in on the results tomorrow. Stay thirsty, my friends!

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @ericgamliel hi by now you shouldnt be coughing anymore unless you are sick, could you post the link (soundlcoud) of the first Lah scale here? I think you might not be supporting well
  • ThatK1D03ThatK1D03 2.0 PRO Posts: 31
    I'm practicing aswell and i'am getting alergies a runny nose and my voice sounds a little deeper, which I think I might be getting strep throat (last time I had strep throat my voice got super deep and kept hurting) if I do get sick do i continue to practice or wait untill the cold or what ever it is to go away.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @ThatK1D03 read the responses to this post.
  • reallydannyreallydanny 2.0 PRO Posts: 32
    Dear god, I am having the same problem right now. It was so relieving to see this thread.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2018
    I have a funny environmental anecdote about this...

I used to get this at the rehearsal place (drummer's basement). It would often get so bad that it was like accidentally inhaling a flake of freshly ground pepper. I'd go into a coughing spasm and my throat would lock up altogether for a few minutes.
    It tuned out that the drummer's cat liked to lay on his sweat towel, so he was getting a rash, and then snapping the hair and dander off the towel, which in turn was nuking me.

As absurd as it sounds, once we rectified the situation, that went away.
    Also of note it was winter, and they are very arid here in Alberta.
    Obviously water helps, Aloe Vera juice is magic!

Cheers,

Phillip
  • tvprogirltvprogirl 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    I have the same issue only I have nasal drip so sometimes when I practice I cough and have an itchy throat that causes me to clear my throat and I heard that is bad for your vocal cords. I am allergic to dust so it is hard to get away from it and I do take something for my allergies but still have that dripping down my throat. It is discouraging to not be able to get through even an hour of practice before this happens. Also, I do believe I need some other methods to help me increase my breath so I can support my voice. This is where a voice coach lesson in person would greatly help. Does anyone know of one in the Denver, Colorado area? At this point, I don't want to spend several hundred dollars to for help on my breath control.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @tvprogirl I can't get too specific because we are in a members area, but the entire goal of the course is to use less air (breath) not more. What I think you are looking for is diaphragmatic support. That is covered extensively in Volume 1. Maybe it would help for you to go back over those videos.

If you want a more detailed answer it would help if you posted in a student area.
  • GNAGNA Enrolled Posts: 21
    I had a problem such as yours, and went to the ENT recently and got a scope. He said I have reflux which I knew I did, and said to increase the Omeprizole and do sinus rinses twice a day. I did increase the meds, but not the rinses.
    I am feeling better and ready to sing again. I will post an audio, hopefully tonight.