Home Off Topic

Music Modernization Act.

I haven't been able to post any cover songs on youtube for a while now due to copy write violations, but I was wondering if this new law has prevented anybody else from posting cover songs on youtube, soundcloud, etc.... or has posting cover tunes gotten easier since the law as signed on the 11th?

Peace, Tony

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    not as far as im concerned, but if you want to do it completly legal you can always go to tunecore and pay for the cover song you are gonna do, but it is more important if you are gonna sell it on itunes or any platform, but that covers youtube too
  • I just do covers for practice so I doubt I will pay the fees unless I want to use it for a broadcast of some sorts. My main goal are my originals.

I know the sites that sell music (spotify, itunes, amazon, etc...) now have to pay royalties for anything created before 1972 which was not the case before.
    They do mention youtube, and soundcloud. From my understanding sites like youtube, and soundcloud will now have software that won't even let you upload copy write material.
    How it's done as of now is they block it after the upload. Now they will start blocking it before it's uploaded.
    I'm not sure when all of this will start taking place, but if it's true, it will end youtube.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Hmmmmm.... that indeed is tragic.
    People will have to resort to other means to host & post their demos and practice material.
    Cloud sources like Dropbox and Google Drive will be the new norm, but come with their own set of drawbacks.
    I guess we'll just have to sit back and watch it all unfold :neutral:
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I thought this new bill was more about getting more money for songwriters and artists via streaming services? Also giving more royalties to producers. I don't know the details though. I didn't read about copyright laws getting stricter yet.
  • It is about getting more money for the artist which is why it keeps getting harder to post copy write material.

The new law states that the artist get a royalty for every play of the copy write material. Youtube, soundcloud doesn't pay those fees because the audience are the content providers. So now they are going to try to stop people from playing the material unless you pay the fees to the artist/publisher.

My problem with this is not being able to play the original recordings, but if I'm performing the material, what is the difference between me performing it on youtube for free vs me performing the same material live while charging people to listen? I'm still playing copywrite material for the public. The only difference is that I charge admission when I play live.

Peace
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @videoace

I thought there was a separate law for playing covers live and posting them or putting it on a cd? I guess you're kind of aiming at that of course.
    But i tend to agree with you. There are so many covers on youtube that don't seem to be a problem. Even some of the biggest bands did covers.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited November 2018
    Hi all together,

is this a new law in the US? - We here in Germany had the problem that even a lot of official videos could not be watched because of legal disputes between the GEMA (the german society for representing artists claims) and Youtube. They got an agreement in 2018, I think.

I hava a concrete issue: @videoace came up with a post in which he invited KTVA members to submit a christmas song to the forum. I decided to give "Driving Home For Christmas" a try. And I found a karaoke version that suits me needs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKfMCvaquY).

If I buy the playback all fees are paid, as I understood it. Is is legal in the US to upload my own cover?

Regards,
    Doc
  • I would try to post the cover first. A lot of people seem to still be able to post covers. (I think someone has been flagging my videos)

Yes this is a new law in the States. You still have plenty of time. I was reading yesterday that it won't go into full effect until 2021. So that's two years away. What changes will happen during those two years is still a mystery for now (still reading it).

Peace
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited November 2018
    @videoace:

Thanks for your answer, Tony. Let's see what happens when I try to upload the video. Thanks for you efforts to clarify that to me.

So I will practice my XMAS special. Meanwhile my beloved wife, Sonja, and our 4 kiddies (Hannah, Melina, Akim and Niklas) will work on the script for the video. These 4 small little dragons came up with a lot of great ideas.

Peace, Love and Freedom,
    Doc
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited November 2018
    @videoace not sure how is it working in the US now, but usually the videos are always flagged when they are cover songs, as long as you dont earn money from youtube with those videos, its ok, a far as im concerned, but the publishing company will still put the commercial before your video, and that´s is why they flag them, it is in that sense that they are flagged, but again not sure if the new law in the states changed that

• The reason I say someone may be flagging my videos is because other people seem to have no problem posting some of the same songs that I have been blocked from posting.
    It just doesn't seem logical. If you were going to block content, wouldn't you block it for everybody?

We'll see what happens when I try to post my Christmas video this year. (fingers crossed)

Peace
    edited November 2018
    oh so someone is directly blocking them? Oh that’s weird
  • I don't know for sure if that's the case or not, but it's the only logical conclusion that I can come up with.

Peace
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    edited December 2018
    Something just happened to me yesterday that reminded me of this post from last month. I tried to post a video on Facebook of my kids dancing in the living room and Feliz Navidad was playing in the background. Facebook immediately notified me that it was copyrighted music and the video would be posted on mute. Pretty lame, it's not like I was making money off it.