Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Dean Zalinski Guitars

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
Has anybody ever played one of these? Not a Dean, But a Dean Zalinski with the Z-Glide neck?

I was thinking about investing in one, but not sure about how they play. If anybody has one, or has played one, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Tony

Comments

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Is there no way for you to play one? I had never heard of the brand before, they make a wide range of guitars i see. Maybe my reply is useless, but i would find a way to play one if you are not sure. Is there a specific reason you want it?

all the best,

Ben
  • For one, I want one for the beauty of their guitars. If you went to the site, you saw how nice they were, and also I'm curious about the V-Glide neck. I haven't seen any for sale at my local music stores so I haven't been able to physically get my hands on one to try it out. I've read the reviews, but everybody has a different playing style, and feel so what is good for one may not be for another.

I'm not even sure if they do sell them in stores to be honest.

Hopefully somewhere along the line I'll run into somebody who owns, or owned one, and get the info.

Peace
    They indeed look nice and are reasonably priced. You can try similar guitars in the store first? There will probably be guitars with similar specs like the pickups, wood etc. There are so many brands these days, it's really cool. Maybe the market is even becoming over-saturated with brands.

Just curious, what kind of tone are you looking for? Something like a certain artist?

I know i am not helping your decision much, i just like the guitar talk.

All the best,

Ben
  • The two I'm looking at is either the Flying V, or the Explorer. Some of the Strats look nice too though. Mainly I'm looking for quality, and looks. The tone I can get within the sounds of my amp, pedals, etc...........

I've got some nice guitars now, but I'm really interested in these guitars. As you mentioned, they are very reasonably priced, and they are beautiful. You also have the option when buying to make it custom. You get to choose what type of pickups, type of wood, type of neck, but they get pricey when you start doing that, but still much cheaper than a Gibson.

As far as tone goes. I typically like a clean bluesy guitar sound. Maybe add a little bit of vibe to create a small wave sound.
    For my originals, I like to keep the guitars clean for the most part, but there are a few of my songs where I like to get down, and dirty, but in the same token, you can make a purely clean guitar sound very dark, and heavy. Depends on your style I suppose.

Peace
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Sorry, Tony,

I think I can't help you on this question. Regarding guitars I am way of conservative (2 Super-Strats, 1 Tele). I didn't even know that there is a special "Dean Zalkinski" guitar.

Sorry, I won't be able to help you there.

Regards,
    Marco
    I totally get where you are coming from, Tony.

Gibsons are ridiculously expensive. They have become quite notorious for it as well. Not saying they are all bad guitars, but you overpay A LOT for the upper models. I don't know how they get away with it, but then again, the company wasn't doing too well a while ago.

Anyway, that's a whole different story.

If you are confident that the instrument has the specifications, wood type, sizes etc. you want, you could consider taking the plunge. The other option is finding a luthier (probably really expensive) or go safe with store-bought.

There are some videos on youtube where people demo some of these guitars, you could have a look at those?

Let us hear it if you buy one, okay? :)
  • I was hoping Somewhere that I could find someone to ask questions. I've watched some videos, and read reviews but I want to find out more about the Z-Glide neck. My main concern is that when I position my thumb on the back of the neck that the indentations in the neck won't hinder my playing.

All I used to play were Gibson's Les Pauls, but they decided to out-price themselves so I turned my back on them.

I did build my own guitar. An Iceman model. I used all the best hardware, and electronics for my playing style. (Gold everything including the trim. Used 18k gold leaf paint.) There are a few blemishes from my paint job (not a professional lol), but it came out really nice regardless.

Peace
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
  • The people from your link all seem to agree that you get more guitar for the buck vs other manufacturers.
    Another selling point for me is the re-sale of the guitars. I don't see many used models on the market which tells me that people liked them enough not to sell them off.

I wish I could get my hands on one. I would know within a couple of minutes if it were something for me or not.

Thanks for the link Bob! (Maybe if my songs hit big I can get an endorsement deal, and get them for free. ha ha Yeah right!)

Peace
  • yogimastulyogimastul 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    Hey @videoace

I own a Dean Razorback and 2 DBZ Bird Of Preys( 6th and 7th strings)
    I am realy fond of all of these models, and especially the Bird Of Prey collection, made me a huge fanboy of the Birds.

Still though, I'm in love with my Razorback's Neck
    ( maybe it's about getting used to something because I have her since I was 16 and now I'm almost 27).

The only thing that stands in my way of hapiness with these guitars is:

1. The Dimebucker (In the Razorback)
    2. The Floyd rose Bridge(well those guitars Cost like a-1000$ so what can i expact :confused:

I never heard of a Z glide, but I can definetly encourage you to buy them.

hope that helped :tongue: