Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Running and singing

I know that running and other physical activities have benefits to singing but when I run outside in the winter (5 times a week) and breathe the cold air through my mouth could that potentially damage my voice?

Comments

• KevinGremKevinGrem Pro Posts: 217
    Well of course cold weather makes things contract and warm weather makes things expand, so I can see why your voice would be worse off immediately after running in the cold, as the muscles in your face and throat probably tighten up as a natural response. But assuming you take a hot shower afterward then I don't why there'd be an issue. At worst you're talking short-term restrictions to your voice but there's no way it can damage your voice long-term. That's my opinion anyways.

Exercise and sports in general are really good for you if you're a singer.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @JurajM as long as you stay hydrated, no, it can't damage your voice.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Unless you're in one of those sub-zero areas where taking in a breath can cause actual freezing in your body. We know of some who have actually injured themselves in that way. So you can actually hurt your cords, your trachea, or your lungs in super-cold climates.

But if it's warm enough for you to run and survive while breathing the air without injury, then you can probably sing just fine. Be aware of weather and health conditions and just sing and exercise responsibly. I run in summer or winter, but I don't like being miserable from extreme temperatures.