Home Off Topic
Options

Odd question about breath support and one normal question

LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
Hi Bob,
Here are my two questions. Admittedly the first one is strange, but I do need to know:
1. I have a gig coming up on Saturday and I not only need to wear a belt so I can hook my earphone pack onto something, but I also need to wear a gown (formal ballroom gig). Bad enough I have to wear a belt that really doesn't go with the gown, but because the gown shows every lump and bump I should probably also wear some lycra shapewear underneath. DOES THIS RESTRICT MY BREATH SUPPORT? That is, will the deep belly breath, which requires the expansion of the abdomen be impaired and thus m singing constricted?
2. Also, I noticed when doing the long tail exercises (even in volume 4), that I am less likely to run out of air if, instead of filling up my lower abdomen with air, I hold in my abdomen a bit while taking a breath, and letting my sides and back expand with air instead of just the abdomen jutting out. I haven't seen ken do this on the videos, so I am wondering if I should not do this, or if it may cause trouble down the road.

Thank you!
Lina

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Yes, it is correct to expand the waist all the way around, including the sides, and the back. Most of the expansion is at the belly, because it CAN expand a lot, compared to your back or sides. But you expand it all as you are able.

The lycra wear shouldn't impair you that much. You may need to put in a little more expansion effort if the lycra is pressing in on you all the way around, but it shouldn't shut you down.
  • Options
    LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    Thank you, Bob!