Home The Singer's Lobby

Alcohol and voice

Hello there, fellas! I have one stupid question: can alcohol affect your vocal cords so much, that it changes your voice type (go from dramatic tenor to lyric baritone for example)?
And I ususally drink only beer. 2-4 bottles in a week (not every week though) - is that too much? :neutral:

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    hi @BenGo Alcohol doesn´t change the voice type, but can make you loose notes, why? because the chords get dry and loose elasticity,(dehydration) and you have to use extra strength to reach high notes, this becomes a cycle after a while and can end really bad

on how many bottles of beer a week, it depends on many things, first your body´s personal resistance, if you drink some of them before a rehearsal or a vocal work out, or right before singing, or all in the same day haha, the point is maintain yourself hydrated and try to observe your body reaction.

Also another thing (and I dont mean to scare you with this but it´s real)is that if you suffer from acid reflux, when you go to sleep, the acid will go out of your esophagus to your throat, this will burn your vocal chords and that´s even worse, so there are a lot of issues for drinking

again i dont know how many bottles are ok, but I dont even drink a day or two before a rehearsal or a show, if its really important not even in a week, but again I suffered from acid reflux, my alimentation has changed a lot and that has helped me

that has helped

Gaston

• BenGoBenGo Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2018

again i dont know how many bottles are ok, but I dont even drink a day or two before a rehearsal or a show, if its really important not even in a week, but again I suffered from acid reflux, my alimentation has changed a lot and that has helped me

that has helped

Gaston

Thank you very much for the answer! I don't usually sing for a day or two (mostly a day) after drinking. I may only do warmup's very lightly. And the day after I try to drink a lot of water.
    I try not to drink at all, but haven't succeed in that yet :D