Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Kinda okay G#5

Hey Guys,

Today i was messing with high screams. I had only one kinda okay recording. ( I would not say it is good. )
It is weird cause i think i am on good track regarding technique, but i still does not think it is a pleasant sound. Something is missing, or maybe too much.

If i hear it correctly, maybe the problem is the lack of ping and maybe too much raspiness.

Any tips on technique would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time listening. :)

BR
Csaba

Comments

• The link isn't working.

Peace, Tony
  • CsesztesCsesztes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 102
    Hey Tony ,@videoace

It is strange.
    It shows me that it was played six times already, also I checked, it works for me both on PC and android.

BR
    Csaba
    Thanks for the info. :)
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Ahoy @Csesztes ...
    Some of the things that I might ask is:
    How did your voice feel after that? (are you able to continue on and sing normally?)
    How much volume are you applying? (a simple db meter will tell you this)
    How much air are you pushing to achieve that? (Were you using compression and carefully metering the flow?)
    Are you still able to sing your full range after that, or does it affect your range and/or ability to still sing clean and soft?
    Hello @Furious_Phil ,

Thanks for listening.

1. My voice was ok after that. I tried it like 10 times at least, and after that i was able to sing. I felt it a little bit in my throat.

2. Next time i am gonna check volume, but it was definitely louder than my normal singing. It was like my throat reinforcing the sound.

3. I was not pushing at my best, since i concentrated on the throat sensation, so support could be better, but i remember I held my breath back.

4. It affected only my top of mixed voice, they started to get little raspy as well, and less pingy.

It really reminds me of the start of a song called "Soul Stealer" by Badlands (Voodoo Highway Album)
    Ray Gillen does it at 0:08 of the track. Pretty sure at its apex it is F#5 or G5... find it on YouTube and have a listen.
    I recently hit that with the same amount of breakup and duration. However, I made damned sure that I was in strict hyperglottal compression and that the volume wasn't any louder than my normal singing volume.

I did notice that I really had to focus to clean my vocals up after that, but luckily that song is grainy rock blues. (Like a higer-ranged Paul Rogers)
    Strategically I would try to keep the super clean songs near the front of the set, and the rock-growl ones near the end for this very reason :wink:

You should be able to do it unscathed if you focus on support and HG-Compression :+1:
    Wow, it really does sound similar. Now i am a little bit relieved. :D

Thanks for the advice, i try to pay more attention to support + HG. It is just not easy, since i just discovered this throat sensation and it takes lot of focus too.

My singing sessions goes just as you described. From Ken's workout to lighter/clean then harder/grainy songs. :)

Anyways, thanks for the help.
    But always remember to clean your voice up afterwards... the next day at the latest, or you'll run the risk of forever being locked into "rasp-hell" :+1:

Cheers,

Phillip
    Okay, i will make sure to do that. Thanks for the warning.
    edited October 2018
    Hey Guys,

So today, i tried again raspy high notes and at one point i think i accidentally "stumbled" upon the correct technique.

It felt a hell of a lot easier on the throat, while the sound is not too edgy, but still have depth to it IMO.

Problem is, i can not get a grasp of that sensation, i tried many times. :(

Link:

The good one is the very first, afterwards they are too edgy, and does not sound good.

Ps.: If anybody wondering, song is To hell with the devil - Stryper
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Lul @Csesztes how many times has this happened to me :)

Just keep at it, you will find it again, and then lose it again, and then find it again ... ad nausem :tongue:

That first note sounded really clean. It will definitely be worth it to get that understanding so you can consistently replicate that ... good luck :)
    @HuduVudu

Thanks for your comment support, i appreciate it, since it is really frustrating knowing, that i am able to do it, just do not know how to...

Anyway, i will keep working on it. ;) I really hope i will be able to do it within 3-6 months on purpose at any time. :D
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    I think that that is totally doable. :)
    Hey Guys,

I think i did it. :)

On Tuesday, i was able to this, but i did not recorded it. Today's workout felt good, so i figured i give it a try.

I am still not 100% satisfied with the sound, but I am really happy, that it does not sound as edgy as my first attempt and it was not taxing on my throat at all. I was able to sing clean afterwards without any issue.

So overall progress was made. :)

Here is the link:
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Csesztes,

like you stumbled upon the right technique, I stumbled upon your post.

Man, I listened through your recordings and I am trying to find the right words ... it is ... AWESOME. That progress you made! And it is clearly to hear that you are knowing what you are doing. Congratulations! Very good job.

Regards, Doc
    Hy @doc_ramadani ,

Thank you for the compliment.

I bought the program May of last year, ever since then I worked out every single week at least 4-5 times a week.
    Currently I workout 5 times a week, one day I do VOL3, other day VOL4 workouts. I have been only doing VOL4 for a month though. Overall, I have been singing 3 years and 2 months now.

I still have a long way to go, but i am happy with the progress I made so far. :)
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Csesztes,

yes, you can be proud of your progress. I believe that it was a hard way to get there, but you made it. Man, think about wehere you will be in another year.

Personally I am in my fifth month on KTVA and progressed so much. Even after that short period I can sing things that I never thought of being able to sing.

Maybe we again stumble upon each other on our journey some day. :)

Regards,
    Doc
    Hey @doc_ramadani,

I have just read your story, it is really inspirational.

I live in Hungary, so maybe one day, we could do some collab performances, if you are interesred. ;)
    I mean through the internet of course.

Keep up the work.

BR
    Csesztes

Hi @Csesztes,
    Csesztes said:

I live in Hungary, so maybe one day, we could do some collab performances, if you are interesred. ;) I mean through the internet of course.

yes, that would be very nice. So we can stay connected via this forum.

Enjoy your singing,
    Doc