Home The Singer's Lobby

Tips on improving singing

I recorded myself singing as of a request of Ken Tamplin. They told me submit a copy of me singing to see what I need to work on. Been singing and playing guitar for over 16 years. Singing in and out about that long. Any tips

https://youtu.be/BmUycLNAB74

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Pfclong,

nice that you joined us. At the KTVA forums we share a spirit: be encouraging, be honest and be helpful. Keeping that in mind I would suggest you to learn how to sing with "ping" and to sing with "self-confidence". Maybe the following video will give you some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCz3F1Hzero

Regards,
    Doc
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    The volume of your singing is a bit low, it's kind of difficult to hear really well. don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad, just not easy to really get a good listen to you. However, I can already hear that you can grow that voice tremendously if you should wish so.

Some of the singing here is also a little like talking, not very much long phrases or sustain. That might be intentional for the song, but it makes it a little harder for me to tell you what to work on. However, as Doc here already posted a video from Ken's youtube channel, make sure to watch a lot of his instructional videos. Especially those from the past few years. You'll find great advice there, and it's free.

Some things that are very important, among others: Bright tone, vowel modifications and support. Support. did i mention support? Support. There are videos on Ken's youtube channel about that as well.

Hope this helps you!

Ben
  • PfclongPfclong Member Posts: 4
    OK I will look into those videos more and work on the way I bring out my voice my main problem was finding the right voice for me. My favorite and I use as a mentor is Johnny cash. But I also like Tim McGraw voice wise to I just need to find what voice should be a low tone or a high tone.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    The best thing is to learn how to use and train all the aspects of your voice. Then you can choose to sing how you want, but you'll sing with good technique! The KTVA program works very well, but it takes some dedication and time.

Try not to think in having a high voice or low voice, they are completely connected. You have one voice. You can learn to connect all the aspects of your voice!

All the best,

Ben