Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Singing too many hours a day?

BotondBotond STREAMING PRO Posts: 7
Is there such a thing as singing too many hours a day?

For now I'm trying to push my practice routine to 3 hours a day, school doesn't quite allow me tho. As soon as I'm done with it, i want to spend a few years full time on musical training, turning at least 7hours a day full attention on vocals.

With taking shorter/longer breaks and of course keeping most of the workout clean, no hyper glottal compression...

Would singing for 7 hours every day damage my voice over time?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    If you singing correctly 7 hours should be no problem.

I do want to note, that practicing for 7 hours a day is counter-productive. You need the mental focus to practice correctly and effectively, and no one possesses that level mental focus. Proper practice should be under 4 hours a day, with the rest of the day left for performance and general singing.

Hope that answers your question.
  • BotondBotond STREAMING PRO Posts: 7
    Thank you, and yes, it did answer my question.

I totally agree practice is pointless if one isn't focused. But as long as it doesn't damage the voice I don't see why I shouldn't keep on *singing* for the rest of the day. Be it rehearsals with a band, live performance, recording vocals or even just singing for fun.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Make sure you are warmed up really well if you are going to sing for a long time. It can really make the difference. Ken talks about this in some videos. He warms up really well before heading into the studio for instance. You always need to warmup before you sing. Just don't push yourself too hard, do what you can and check yourself. Make sure you don't go hoarse for instance.

All the best,

Ben