Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Nat King Cole- The Christmas Song

Hi Guys, I'm copying this demo from the "safe haven" of our Christmas songs thread to this area for critique. Can anyone provide suggestions for improvement.

Thanks,

Michael

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZUBzeevHL0

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Okay,
    It's good, I have a few observations though.
    1. At the start :37, you can go a little lighter on the consonant, because I hear you go "RoastEEng" and you kind of close up there. So you could go "RoastEHn ".
    2. You go a little flat at :56, nothing a little support can't fix.
    3. 1:38, "Waay" is not bright enough, and goes a little wobbly. Just try and open up, and use that support. Same with "sleigh" try to get in more vibrato in there.

All observations aside, you did a pretty good job, there were some really smooth parts.
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    edited December 2018
    Thanxs @Diego this is exactly the kind of specific feedback I'm looking for.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Anytime. Just tag me whenever you upload.

All the best,
    Diego.
    @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui Can you guys please give this a listen when you get a chance and give me some suggestions?
  • EvergreenLadyEvergreenLady 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
    Hi Michael! you remind me of my singing and trumpet partner. Very gifted but a bit inrovert and self controlled. I think you have to relax and let go to find your own expression. And the singing technique will adjust afterwards.
    Thanks for this advice @EvergreenLady. Outside of singing I am the complete opposite of an introvert but for some reason I can't seem to get comfortable singing yet!
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited December 2018
    I would make it even brighter, a bigger smile for now, I know the style its not supposed to be like that, but so you get more comfortable with the pitch, picture it kind of stevie wonder singing this song,but maintain the back of the throat open, in the lower notes we tend to get lost in terms of placement, also support because in lower notes our body is kind of thinking "oh this is in my speaking register so I can talk this, I dont need support and can match the notes without struggle" nope we cant
    I honestly think if you try this song again doing this two things your performance will improve a lot, after a while you wont have to smile every time you try to find pitch in low notes, but for now it will get you in a better placement
    @HuduVudu @doc_ramadani @videoace @bentk Any suggestions/observations for this one?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Michael4000,

I think you want a specific feedback on specific issues. But I am sorry, I do not have specific oberservations for you. I think that I only have a feedback that doesn't really help you right now: stay on your very good path in means of your work on Volume 2, take the next song to work on, then the next one, ...

Sorry, that I do not have something more concrete for you.

Doc
    that's ok, thanks @doc_ramadani! I appreciate your response.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    If I was you I would take the next song to work on and come back to this one next year.
    edited December 2018
    @doc yes I have a few in mind. Are you working on any songs that you will post?
    edited December 2018
    Hi @Michael4000,

YESSSSSS. The whole family (we are six in total) is working on some funny ideas for the videos. To be honest, I am not deciding this. The kids tell me what song I should give a try next. They put me on George Ezra - Don't matter now. That gave me a breathe because it is well in my range. And they are loving it because they have a lot of great ideas for the choreography. :smile:

Maybe I can suggest a song for you: The Steve Miller Band - The Joker. I guess that this song could match your voice very well. A very cool, laid back song. And it could help you to practice that vowel singing thing. It would be a great to hear performed by you.

Marco

PS.: I really enjoy it very much that we started around the same time. It is very good to see what you are doing and what you are struggling with. Hopefully you are also having a lot of fun to see what I am struggling with. :D Very good to have you aside of me. :tongue:

edited December 2018
    Hi @doc_ramadani. That's great that your whole family is involved. My wife and kids run away screaming "Nooooooo!!!!" as soon as they hear Lah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah. When do you think you will post the song?

Thanks for your great suggestion and I will accept this challenge. I have always liked that song, and Steve Miller in general. I started listening to the song again last night. It's funny how you hear songs differently now, listening with a "singer's ear" right? I never knew what the "pompitious of love" meant and after some research, apparently pompitious isn't even a real word, Steve Miller just made it up. Anyway, I look forward to diving into this song. Too bad I don't smoke weed anymore, it would probably help me get into the mood of that song, lol.

Yes it's good to be on a similar path on this journey, glad we crossed paths :smile:

Michael
    edited December 2018
    Hi Michael, @Michael4000

my family runs away if I start the "LAH", too - but they love doing the videos. YEAH, that is how I caught them. He, he, he. Now, I have something to manipulate them to do what I WANT and to bear my singing! :grimace:

On my new recording: I was planning to do the video this weekend. But "We are all busy, aren't we?". :smile: I will try to manage to do it as soon as possible and you will be the first one to watch the video. And you will be the only one to watch the take-outs. :smile:

And you really take the challenge? - Man, that's great. I love that song. I am really looking forward to hear "The Joker in the style of Michael".

And yes, I caught myself to listen to singers absolutely different nowadays, too. I don't care anymore about the genre they are singing. I listen to their skills. And there are so many great singers outside. I like that Ken teaches us to be able to sing all that kind of styles. Yesterday I stumbled upon a song which I would never have noticed before but already has become a song that I want to be able to sing one day: What a Fool Believes (Remastered 2016) - The Doobie Brothers.

So, Michael, let's go on the path we have taken together. :smiley:

Marco