Home Psychology of Singing

Friend likes 'joke' voice better than 'trying' voice

Kanis999Kanis999 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
edited December 2018 in Psychology of Singing
A friend I've know my whole life and been in bands with is quite accustomed to hearing me try to sing. I've been doing KTVA exercises for about 6 months now, which I know is nowhere near enough time to get real benefit from it, but that is relevant background information.

He doesn't come out and say it directly but I think he doesn't like the sound of when I try to use the techniques I've been learning. He implies it sounds forced, shaky, and weak. I honestly tend to agree. But when I sing in a ridiculous joking way, he says it sounds way better. This joking method of singing though is pretty much objectively bad technique, a sort of shouting and gruff yell similar to how early James Hetfield sounds. I do actually love that tone btw, I just know its the antithesis of most of what Ken teaches.

I think the reason he likes the bad technique is mostly psychological. If I'm 'joking', I'm stepping into a character. Any judgment of that character's sound doesn't reflect on the 'real' me, so I'm able to sing with no self consciousness. When I'm singing in this manner I'm also expecting it to sound bad, because its a joke, so there's basically no inhibition. It sounds confident because I don't give a crap.

This friend of mine and I are in a band and we've got to decide how to carry forward. Obviously I'm going to keep doing the course and believe everything Ken has to say, but how do I rectify the discrepancy between what I would call 'try-hard' singing, and 'idgaf' singing? Just keep try-harding until the voice grows enough for that to sound good?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    The way I see it is that you are learning new techniques in KTVA, that will replace low level old techniques that you are currently using. You are now aware that your idgaf singing is using a different technique than KTVA, and you revel in it's comfort. You call your current technique "bad" but, do you remember why you decided it was "bad"? You need to be clear with yourself what is wrong with your current technique. The reason that I say this is because there is going to be a transition period (of which you are aware) where you transition from your current technique to the new KTVA technique. At a fundamental level you are going to lose all of the manifestations of your current technique, and you will start over in singing with the KTVA technique. Let me emphasize you are going to START OVER. During this transition your current technique is going to be by necessity better than your newly forming KTVA technique. You can switch back and forth between them but you know as well as I do that that will hinder the growth of your KTVA technique. Sometimes this might be necessary, but you have to evaluate if that is true for you.

Anything new by design doesn't feel comfortable. Imagine first learning to speak or walk or read. We take these things for granted now but when we first started them they felt uncomfortable, but as we did them more we gradually became comfortable doing them. So it is with this. We are replacing a known thing with new unknown thing. It is very tempting to bring the comfort of the old ways with us, but we are trying to get rid of the old ways for a reason. It is often good to revisit the reasons we are transitioning so as to remind ourselves why we are doing what we are doing, and put us back on track if we have strayed.

Ultimately you have to decide what the right thing to do is and only you can make that decision. Best of luck for you.

Hopefully what I have said can bring some clarity :)
  • Kanis999Kanis999 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
    Good insight. I guess the reason the old technique is bad is mostly that it will certainly lead to vocal damage and rapidly. Furthermore, that technique couldn't hold a steady, even note. It has a lot more attitude though. I want that attitude with KTVA technique, but I am told to sing very lightly for a long time before 'leaning in' as Ken puts it. The music I write quite often sounds angry, so it has to be sung in a manner that fits that theme. When one thinks of anger, they think of yelling. So idk what to do there other than be patient and hope that sound develops over the years with safer techniques.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    The sound WILL develop. You can be assured of that. I'm sure that you will easily surpass your old technique pretty quickly.

But, yes patience. That was what I was alluding to in my post. Gratification now or reward later.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I posted something a while back that might help you realize one person's progression with the course (in a similar situation)
    http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/7340/6-month-mark-experience/p1?new=1