Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Silent Practice

So I was watching a singing masterclass by a singer called Christina Aguilera, I don't know her though, she said that if you workout your throat muscles just like when you're singing or practicing but without actually making sound and basically silently, then it's also effective and works. and I wanted to ask you guys if that's true or not and if Ken has talked about this before. because if it's true then I would practice hours just during the night when I'm not able to.

Comments

• Options
    Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    hi @Brian_Mahdi I have never heard of silence practice, with silence I assume you mean NO SOUNDS at all
    to me that would not make any sense because you need to hear your self in order to find placement, maybe you could work on your breathing, which it is important but other than that I doubt you could become a great singer without hearing yourself, think of it this way, you wanna be a football player and you dont see the ball you just imagine it, you might even move oyur legs but if you dont play with the ball, and with other people you will never be a football player, hope the analogy makes sense

im not sure what christina aguilera meant and what muscles she was talking about specifically but probably she was talking about breahting exercises
  • Options
    Brian_MahdiBrian_Mahdi Member Posts: 8
    @Gaston_Jauregui Hey! thank you for your response. yeah I meant no sounds at all. tbh it didn't make sense to me as well, because like you said you need to hear yourself in order to tell if you're doing it right or wrong. she wasn't talking about breathing exercises, she was talking about warming up. I think she means like when you're practicing or singing, you're forming your throat muscles in specific shapes and if you try to do those shapes without making any sound it still would exercise your throat muscles.