Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Glory to the brave- Hammerfall

Hey guys,
Here is my attempt at part of this song. I know its sounding bad, any advice would be much appreciated. Confidence is one of my biggest barriers at the moment, as you see near the end I was pulling back because I heard someone walking outside my room and didn't want them to hear... and of course it has an effect on the sound.
Im always anxious when practicing because I think my voice sounds whiny and awful and thinking about other people hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbbTG9txKc0&feature=youtu.be

thanks
Ryan

Comments

• The singing wasn't bad at all, but your shyness is hindering you progress more than anything.
    I can tell that there is a singer in there screaming to get out. Let it out dude.
    You're going to have to get over being shy/worried. Singers are usually right there up front naked for the whole world to see so you need to get past that somehow, someway.

I think you sounded good on the stuff you were confident on. It's only when you had to get louder did it start to sound bad.

I would start doing kareoke nights as often as possible to get past it.

Peace, Tony
  • guitarboyguitarboy Pro Posts: 31
    Thanks good points, Im not ready for Karaoke nights yet I think.
    Do you have some ideas about getting over the shyness?
    and about singing louder without it sounding bad? I notice that if I add volume to my voice it sounds worse
  • You're holding back when you need to add volume. You need to relax, and let it go.

To get over shyness, kareoke is perfect for that. People expect you to suck so there is no pressure or worries doing kareoke.
    You will have good nights, and bad nights, but the more you do it, you will start having more good nights, and less bad nights.
    If you're going to sing, you have to start somewhere.

Peace, Tony
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    You are always ready for karaoke nights ALWAYS ... now go :tongue:

You need to memorize the song that you are going to sing. Don't go in flat footed. Sing with the singer 20 or 30 times, to get the timing and feel down. You should have a good feel for the song at this point. Now go over each line of the song. Make sure you sound as the singer. Do this till you have each and every line. Then do the karaoke track 10 or 15 times. Now go do karaoke. Don't be afraid. You will see when you are waiting your turn that even if you absolutely suck you will be better than 50% of the people there. Ohhh and don't forget most everybody is drunk anyway so it doesn't matter.

Now go and sing!!!
    Thanks guys great advice about singing karaoke, your right that I'm holding back, it's my biggest inhibitor at the moment. I will definitely incorporate that into my practice and try to get into karaoke! :)

@doc_ramadani
    I don't see how that's relevant man
  • I was very shy at first too. Lucky for me, my family likes to humiliate, and embarrass me so they are always wanting to see if the program is working (usually when people are over) so I get pulled into singing ha ha
    You just have to remember that people don't think about your mistakes the way that you do. To you that tiny mistake may devastate you for a couple of days, but to the listener it was forgotten about by the next verse so don't worry so much.

Peace, Tony
    Oh haha yes it seems a bit of humility can help get over the shyness. true that seems about right, people most likely won't be thinking about that 1 mistake you did while you might be thinking about it for a week. They will more be remembering the performance as a whole.
    Do you think my voice has potential?
    Thanks, Ryan
  • Absolutely, when you were singing with confidence, your voice had a very nice tone, and the vibrato was sounding pretty decent too.

Once you get confident, and KNOW that you can sing (and you can) your voice will start growing even quicker than it is now. You just can't be afraid. I know it's easier said than done, but you will do it after a few good nights, and the girls buying you drinks heh heh.

Peace, Tony
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Ryan,

I think that your voice has absolut potential. I referred you to that post with the metaphor about shyness to get over it. If it didn't work don' care about. I think you have great potential.

Doc
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for the motivating words videoace it really helps and I'm feeling more like pushing and getting better and growing my confidence :)
    And yeah girls buying me drinks is a big bonus haha, I will make sure to choose songs the ladies also love! 😁

Hi doc, I apologize I hadn't seen that part. I only read earlier in the thread and seen the part about you telling that person to stop posting too much demos without taking the advice and focus more on the excercise.
    So I thought maybe you were telling me off too for posting a song instead of exercise haha I'm sorry.
    I read the story and it's very beautifully told and inspiring thanks! 😊

Take care, Ryan
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @guitarboy Oof, believe me, If you keep training that voice, you'll be a monster singer!
    Having confidence in your singing is one of the few obstacles you have to overcome to really become a good singer.

P.S. There's nothing the ladies love more than a confident man.

Good luck!

-Diego.

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Ryan,

PUH, so I am very glad that you found the right part of the discussion. I would have been awful if you misunderstood me. Your posts are very welcome.
    Diego said:

P.S. There's nothing the ladies love more than a confident man.

Yes, but it is a while back since a lady bought me a drink. The only thing my wife (she is a pharmacist) buys me is the Heart-circulation-kidney-tea. :D

Doc
    Hi @Diego ! thanks, it sure will take time to get past that obstacle. I have a feeling once I get over that one the rest will be a piece of cake in comparison :D

Thanks @doc_ramadani , I always love to see your comments on my posts and others too :)
    Did you write that story? its very amazing :)

Haha well its still better than what girls buy me, which is nothing :(
    not so good with the ladies :P

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @guitarboy you are doing a good job, you dont sound bad at all, make sure you smile more to make the sound brighter this will automatically improve your pitch, and make sure you do this in front of a mirror because watching the video will distract you from smiling :) so that would be for now, I would go for that now and repost when you got that, I believe if you work one thing or two at a time will be easier to remember what to do while you are singing, instead of watching for everything
    edited December 2018
    Hi Ryan, @guitarboy

glad to hear (read).

The story is originally by a german author called Max Lucado. I retold it to match the people involved in the discussion.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani awesome good to know! cheers!
    @Gaston_Jauregui thank you very much good advice, I will keep that in mind. its amazing what others can notice that I didn't think of before :) while watching the video again I can see what you mean