Home Off Topic

I'd Really Appreciate Your Advice & Workout Routines Suggestions

DevonMooreDevonMoore Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
I just out of a rehab (brain surgery) and I'll be on SSI for the next year or so (doctors say it could be longer but that's a different topic) however with that I have all day, everyday to myself since I'm young with no family or work obligations.

I want become the best singer I can be and get to a point where this can become a living (feel terrible living off the government, A pride thing) With that I need some input from all of the KTVA family on building a workout routine to help build the voice in the best way.

I'm talking a full work day kinda of routine, I got some support from family so I'll have a Keyboard for Christmas to practice on and some other little things like the equipment need ect.

Also there are other things I'd like to do along side just the vocal exercises/learning to sing. For example learning to read/write music, learning the piano, write songs and overall the Artistry of Music.

Music has been the only thing that's always been there for me and this is saving me from massive depression all the current struggles have brought onto me. I really appreciate your advice and hope to get to know all of the KTVA family better though all of this!

Thanks,
Moore

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Wow! God speed Deven.

First things first. Singing is VERY athletic. VERY, very very. I want to say this because you need to be careful how far you push yourself doing this. Don't be fooled. It looks easy and it might seem easy but in your condition you could easily push yourself too far.

Ok that out of the way. Here is how I would approach it. I don't work so I am in a similar situation as you. BTW please don't worry about taking money from the government. Seriously you are the very reason these programs were put in the place. Coming from an anarcho-capitalist this should be a strong indication that what your doing is ok. I do understand your desire to stand on your own and you should very much try to do that. Think of it this way, you are getting a scholarship to do this singing/music thing. Focus on what you are doing and live up to what is being given to you. Ok rant over. First off I would work on building stamina. Almost all of Volume 1 is focused here. Get your support under you. Don't work on range, instead work on the things that will allow you to practice longer. Lip burbles are your friend. Get them down so that you are hardly moving any air when doing them, so there are several layers to them don't fooled by their apparent simplicity. Do the sit exercises to help build your support. Don't push yourself, take breaks when you need to, and don't work out all day. I once heard/read a famous opera singer say " ... if you are practicing more than four hours a day you are doing it wrong ...".

Intellectually you can learn music theory, learn to site read sheet music, ear train and try to learn perfect pitch. These intellectual things will help keep you busy while you are waiting for your body to recover and your muscles build.

Believe it or not you are in a good place. You have all the time in the world to really focus on music and singing. See it as the great gift it is and use it wisely.

Wishing you good luck on your singing journey. :smiley:
  • DevonMooreDevonMoore Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for the advice @HuduVudu I appreciate you!

I see, I understand the voice is a muscle to be grown slowly or as Ken say don't expect to lift 300lbs dumb bells in a few weeks ^^ but Building stamina does sound like a really good start.

Since most of this is in volume 1 and Ken says you should stay in it for about 3 week, when training I do the warm ups 1-17 (well 16 minus the intro) and then watch all of the videos......do I simple take a break and do it over again cause that's what i've been doing lol

Also I dont know what voice I have but the high notes/scales are easier for me then the lower ones, Get like a itch in my throat trying to do them (only a little but noticeable) should I also do the warm up for Divas?

Also I have the Pro package (sent and email for the 2.0 but haven't heard back) is it ok to do stuff from there or is that after the main course? I dont want to hurt my voice or devople some bad habit.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    and Ken says you should stay in it for about 3 week
    Ummmm ... uuhhhhh ... no. :( He says about 3 months and that is really for a REALLY seasoned singer. I don't imagine that you have that level of vocal training behind you (you might) I don't know for sure. I am at 9 months in the course and I am still on Volume 1. Trust me there is enough in just Volume 1 to keep you busy solidly for a couple of years, especially if you are a noob like me. My advice to you is to NOT rush this program. There are a LOT of things that you need to learn before you can move on. Ultimately it is your course and your progression so you need to do what you feel is best, but I find that people run past Volume 1 and then run into walls very quickly.
    is it ok to do stuff from there or is that after the main course? I dont want to hurt my voice or devople some bad habit.
    You already have bad habits unless you have never sung a note in your life. The reason you are practicing is to remove the bad habits and learn the new and improved habits. To even see the bad habits you need to be very focused in your practice. Pay close attention to your voice your sound. Record when you need feed back. Use pitch analyzers to make sure you are on pitch. Sing with Ken to make sure you are doing it correctly. Go back and sing with Ken often. Also the course is presented in order. The pro packs are just that for pros. Once again do not rush this process or your going to burn out or fade away. Either way you are done with singing. This should be a long term goal for you and you should approach it as such. You aren't going to be Arnold Schwarzenegger in a 1 year. Gauge your commitment like that.