Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

How to know what voice you are

Hello, I'm relatively new and I want to learn how to sing but the only way I was taught (self taught) was by trying to copy the voices of those whose songs I loved and I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm taking the course now. I got the diaphragmatic support and breathing good but I still don't know what type of voice o even have. And again no self confidence so it's all baby steps for me

Got any suggestions as to how to find out?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hello!

You should upgrade your forum status if you own the course. Access to the student areas is a real benefit and you can get the process started here.
  • DevonMooreDevonMoore Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
    edited December 2018
    By knowing what you range is as well as where your tessitura sits (where your most comfortable) there is a good picture of this if you google voice types and look at images.

there is more to it then this but a simple answer since your just starting out ^^
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited December 2018
    Hi @LoneWolfRogue,

@HuduVudu is right. We could give you better answers if you would come to the Students Area, i.e. http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/categories/stretching-chest-voice.

But Devon ( @DevonMoore ) is on the right track. But it would even be better to know your "primo passagio" and your "secundo passagio". But remind, that Ken teaches us how to sing far above our regular ranges so the CLASSIFICATION (which is made by humans) loses its meaning to a certain kind.

Doc
  • LoneWolfRogueLoneWolfRogue 2.0 PRO Posts: 265
    Thank you to everyone on the Forum help. I had no idea.

I did forward the emails so hopefully I'll be upgraded in the forum soon cause I'm eager to learn to help my voice grow and build my confidence.

I was told by our music director at church he thinks I'm a soprano if that helps at all. I'm on the first disc which is about diaphragmatic support, breathing and tongue exercises. Should I do those for a month before attemptting singing or should I jump into it? Never had any training just singing in my car and alone in quiet places I can find.

I honestly don't know how I sound. I'm sort of nervous to post a video of me singing as I don't want to be the next blooper sensation on YouTube but I don't know what else to do. I wish I had coaching everyday just to make sure I'm doing it right...hate screwing up even though I'm learning. I just love singing and keeping good classic songs especially rock alive.

Hope this helps

Thanks again!

LoneWolfRogue
    edited December 2018
    Plus most of my music role models I grew up with were men and being a lady it's hard to know if I'm doing their song right lady style
    Just did a recording of my voice....and i hate it with a passion. American idol? Sure. In the gag reel section where they throw the contestant out faster than a rattlesnake bite.

How on Earth can any good come from this disaster of a broken tuba of a voice?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mwiDXwv71ZTOy9WomncfZkGHhRWeWN7_/view?usp=drivesdk
  • Your voice is far from a broken tuba ha ha.

Actually that wasn't bad for just starting. You can discern pitch, can stay in time, and not afraid to sing big vocal songs.

I think you will do just fine here. It's just going to take a little time getting the techniques down. Then once the techniques kick in your voice is going to sound much bigger, and stronger.

Practice, practice, practice, scales, scales, scales, Lah, Lah, Lah!

Peace, Tony
    Hahaha thanks Video Ace . I still think I sound like a broken tuba but I guess one has to start somewhere eh?

So scales and practice? Is there more I can do? I'm an open book at this point
  • My best advice is to not rush through any of the material. It's laid out in a specific sequence to really grow the voice (and it works like a charm.) So just try to really get the techniques down, and how they are used.
    What helps is to watch the instruction video often at first until you get the hang of it all. There are also videos of Ken instructing other students doing the same techniques, and those are valuable also.

But in the end.....scales, practice, Lah! ha ha

Peace, Tony
    Thanks Tony! I finished the first DVD I'm about to move onto the next so those instructions I'll follow to the letter :)

Here's my latest sample...doesn't sound very good but gave it my best