Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello from Canada

Hi everyone! I'm Rick. I've been singing on and off since I was a little kid but I never got very serious at it. The most serious was me joining choir in high school and we all know how it's pretty casual there. I'm 26 now and have a very uncertain future due to how life has went. I love singing because it helps anchor me through those difficult times.

Why did I get the course? I think I finally figured out my dream and being a better singer (not necessarily a professional one) can get me closer to that dream. Of course, I don't mind having the ability to sing tougher sings to challenge myself as well.

I don't think I have a favorite genre. I'm one of those people who like good songs regardless of the genre or the singer. Working at a place that plays songs on the radio does influence what songs I normally listen to but I am open to any songs.

I hope to make friends here and improve my singing more. Looking forward to meeting you all and get some good advice on how to improve my singing! :smile:

Comments

• You're still young. You have that on your side.

Think about it for a minute, If you got serious with this course starting tomorrow (an hour a day 5-6 days a week), By the time you are 30, you could be a professional singer, and make a living singing.
    Not many people get to do that, and you want to know why? Not because it's difficult, but because they are scared. They have it in their minds that it's a pipe dream, and it's not.
    It's all possible if you do the studying, and work.

Peace, Tony

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hello Rick_amateur :)

Welcome to KTVA and the forums.
  • Rick_amateurRick_amateur 2.0 PRO Posts: 708
    videoace said:

You're still young. You have that on your side.

Think about it for a minute, If you got serious with this course starting tomorrow (an hour a day 5-6 days a week), By the time you are 30, you could be a professional singer, and make a living singing.
    Not many people get to do that, and you want to know why? Not because it's difficult, but because they are scared. They have it in their minds that it's a pipe dream, and it's not.
    It's all possible if you do the studying, and work.

Peace, Tony

I definitely feel older than I am but I do know I have more time than most people. I will be working hard for sure as I made the commitment the moment I paid for the course. Life has certainly taught me that there are very few things that are impossible in life if we don't talk ourselves out of it and put work, blood and sweat into something. Thanks for the welcome! :smile:
    HuduVudu said:

Hello Rick_amateur :)

Welcome to KTVA and the forums.

Thanks for the welcome! :smile:
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Rick, @Rick_amateur

a very warm Welcome from Germany, too. You love singing? - Me too. But I am much older than you and doing it for my personal joy.

Yes, if you put blood, sweat and tears (I absolutely LOVE this band) in your singing, you will be blasted away by your voice in 1 year. I really go to the basement every night and sing for 1 to 2 hours. The result? - My children are wearing a hearing bug. :D

Good to have you here on 2.0 PRO. A very wise choice.

Doc

Hi Rick, @Rick_amateur

a very warm Welcome from Germany, too. You love singing? - Me too. But I am much older than you and doing it for my personal joy.

Yes, if you put blood, sweat and tears (I absolutely LOVE this band) in your singing, you will be blasted away by your voice in 1 year. I really go to the basement every night and sing for 1 to 2 hours. The result? - My children are wearing a hearing bug. :D

Good to have you here on 2.0 PRO. A very wise choice.

Doc

Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually met a few Germans online (not here since I'm still new) and they are very friendly. Don't let my age fool you. I feel much older with what life threw at me so far.

I do practice singing everyday right now but it's not always necessarily the exercises from the course. It's just nice to actually let loose sometimes and sing songs while not caring what your neighbors think about strangled cats all the time. I don't doubt that I'll improve but 1 year seems too short. I'll need more time than that.

I was debating about the costs but decided to go with what seems to help the most. I know I have much to work on and I won't regret a worthwhile investment. :smile:
  • GIPSYGIPSY 2.0 PRO Posts: 34
    Hi folks !
    Personnaly and just to share my experience, I'm 44 years old singer as professionnal for 25 years now... A lot of concerts, parties like wedding and so on you know what I mean... Long singing sessions in bad conditions most of time... so iI get bad singing habits, and most of all used to smoke for 10 years. I stopped 2 monthes ago because a vocal surgery was necessary, and you know what : My vocal cords are now completly new ones... no oedema, nothing at all, so At 44 years old, I decided to forget all that I know about singing, I decided to follow KTVA lessons. Singing is my job, and even at 44, I think it's not too late to start lessons... I think the way will be hard but not too long because I know myself, I know my body ... so, lets practice...
    I think you can do the same, it's never too late...
    ;)
    GIPSY said:

Hi folks !
    Personnaly and just to share my experience, I'm 44 years old singer as professionnal for 25 years now... A lot of concerts, parties like wedding and so on you know what I mean... Long singing sessions in bad conditions most of time... so iI get bad singing habits, and most of all used to smoke for 10 years. I stopped 2 monthes ago because a vocal surgery was necessary, and you know what : My vocal cords are now completly new ones... no oedema, nothing at all, so At 44 years old, I decided to forget all that I know about singing, I decided to follow KTVA lessons. Singing is my job, and even at 44, I think it's not too late to start lessons... I think the way will be hard but not too long because I know myself, I know my body ... so, lets practice...
    I think you can do the same, it's never too late...
    ;)

Thanks! I luckily don't smoke so I hope my throat won't need any surgeries anytime soon. I have a long way to go if I want to sing for 25 years. That's almost as long as I've been on this planet. I will be working hard and doing the good practice all the time. Hopefully, I'll see some results in a year or so. I have so much work to do. :smile:
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    edited December 2018
    @Rick_amateur Welcome to the course, you have definately come to the right place to improve and at 26 you have plenty of time to improve. Great bunch here will help and advise to keep you on track for great singing.

I am 44 years old amature/karaoke on and off for 13 years never done scales or proffessional traning, been on the course for 7 weeks now and noticed faster gains. I do keep fit and healthy, no smoke or drinking. Looking forward to hear my progress in 12 months time.

Regards
    George
    @Vocality

Thanks for the warm welcome! I certainly have plenty of time to improve but, as you probably know, life can get busy very quickly. I have definitely met a lot of nice people around here and feel a bit overwhelmed with what I have to learn. I think I'll need the extra time for sure.

I'm an amateur too but I have been doing more acapella than karaoke lately. Just feel like I can learn better that way. As for my health, I'm not the unhealthiest but you won't see me extra fit. I definitely look forward to my progress a year from now. I hope I can find lots of gains in 6 weeks or so.

Rick

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Rick_amateur

You will notice a difference in 6 weeks try to put songs a side and concentrate on the scales and techniques. Thats the part that will grow your voice faster, have been on the course 8 weeks on volume 1, next 4 weeks gonna take a demo lah vowel just to see if I am ready for volume 2. If not in no rush will extend volume 1 if needed.

Alot to take in at the start once your established, 1 hour work out 5-6 days a week, then enjoy the gains over weeks and months.

George
    @Vocality

I'm usually a slow learner so I'll give myself 8 weeks. As for songs, I'll still do them in addition to 1 hour workout everyday. I'm just putting my holiday to good use. I will miss having days off for sure. As for the volumes, I will stay at volume 1 for awhile as well. However, I'm one of those who need some feedback fairly frequently so I don't develop bad habits along the way.

8 weeks for volume 1 sounds like a good place to start. I know that I need a strong foundation before I'm ready for volume 2. I hope your demos will be great so you can tackle more challenging exercises. :smile:

Rick