Home Vocal Health and Wellness

If my throat is sore should I rest?

I could practice my scales today but should I? My throat is sore and I think I should rest it instead of practicing.

But I recall Ken saying somewhere that you should practice anyway. What should I do?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    If your throat is TIRED from singing a lot, you might want to give it a rest.

If it's a "sore throat" like an illness that is going around, Ken recommends that you sing right through it. NOT if you have laryngitis. Laryngitis requires vocal rest. Respiratory infections require vocal rest. Tired, overworked voices require rest to recover. Most other situations are best to sing through, even if in a compromised voice. The reason is that if you pamper your voice through common illnesses, your vocal recovery time will be longer. If you maintain your voice as best as is possible through common illnesses, your voice will bounce back to normal more quickly.

You may need to pull back on the reigns a little bit and not do much belting or rough stuff. But don't just stop singing unless you feel it is necessary.