Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Cover Song Gaston

Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
Hi guys, i did this cover a couple of months ago, let me know what you think :)

Comments

• That was an AWESOME vocal!

Nothing to critique. It was amazing plain, and simple.

Really good work.

Peace
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
  • @Gaston_Jauregui Let me ask you something. Aside from warming up, how much time a day do you actually "train", and what does your "training" consist of?
  • @Gaston_Jauregui Thanks, that was helpful. I appreciate it.

Peace
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Sounds Awesome, Gaston! Great tone, great support.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    @Gaston_Jauregui this sounds amazing. Did you use autotune or any other editing after the recording?
    edited January 2019
    @Michael4000 I recorded many tracks to do that cocer and get the best peformance I could

If you are interested in hearing me sing live here is an entire show of me singing :) some in english some in spanish https://youtu.be/jpCs5PU_vhs
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    edited January 2019
    @Gaston_Jauregui What do you mean you recorded many tracks? Do you mean you pieced together the best parts of each track? Are you using pitch correction software?

The live performance sounds great!
    Yes I pieced the best parts of each track
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Gaston_Jauregui,

wow, the recordings are amazing. So many details. Great.

Doc
    thanks doc! I highly recommend the band I covered and the singer´s career they are really good
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Some great singing here, Gaston! Awesome stuff!
  • RicardoLangnerRicardoLangner Member Posts: 9
    Wow @Gaston_Jauregui !

I'm new around here and I'm very impressed by your voice, especially the control and tone. Fantastic job!

Btw, thanks for exposing your practicing routine. It's very motivational to understand the hard work that supports the performance.

Best wishes,
    RIcardo
  • RicardoLangnerRicardoLangner Member Posts: 9

@Gaston_Jauregui

...Do you take day off(?)...

Nice question: would like to know that too.
    edited January 2019
    @victortang @RicardoLangner
    i do take a day off or two it depends on how hard my week was, also if i have to sing saturdays or not
    I usually do volume 3 and 4 or either some parts of 4 and vol 5 and combine them, take a couple of exercises from each, it depends on what my voice needs to get ready that specific day, or if i want to train everything but what I will always do is vol 3 soft and the I pull as much as I can

Btw when I sing live I tend to use more mask and I thin the sound more because my voice naturally is more nasal when I speak, and my first influences are Axl rose type of voices so this is not my natural placement, in this song I made it different because the original singer sings that way and I wanted to replicate how he sings, plus I thought it would be a kind of cool to try a coverdale/ ken tamplin type of singing, (not that frontal per say) since the original singers approach is more on that direction but If I would have to sing this live, I would not aporoach it this way, I would place it more in the front and maybe not pull so much, because this is more challenging, to me at least, so im not gonna play superman, hahahaha this is a really hard song to sing even for the original singer, this is a recording, if you want to hear me sing live i posted a concert so michael could get an idea, of how I normally approach signing though the video i posted live, is about 3 or 4 years old and ive improved since my understanding is getting better :)
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Gaston_Jauregui

You have a unique sound to your voice, professional performance Great rock vocals there.

Vocality (George)
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    You Rock Gaston! Very nice work.
  • Gary_Williamson1971Gary_Williamson1971 3.0 Streaming Posts: 13
    Goals!!
    What a great powerful voice!
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Very cool! @Gaston_Jauregui Thanks for sharing!
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Amazing vocals @Gaston_Jauregui
    I had seen a few of your things on youtube before, really, really good.
    Also, thanks for the personal insights you have given here!

All the best,

Ben
    thanks @Bentk I wanna hear something yours man! let me know when/if you posted something
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited March 2019
    @Gaston_Jauregui Lot's of stuff going on now (you probably noticed i am not on the forum a lot these days), really do hope to record things in the near future!! Want to share with you guys.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Amazingly performed! Bravo!
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    edited May 2019
    Absolutely amazing performance, and i could listen to your voice for hours and hours. Do you have a youtube channel i can follow?

edit: found it. You got a follower https://www.youtube.com/user/chatclap
  • DustyFunkDustyFunk 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 48
    Absolutely love your voice. Magnificent! Brilliant song too.

Would love to hear this with some raw rock guitar. :)
    edited May 2019
    @Gaston_Jauregui hey i forgot to ask you that who was the original performer? Love this song and I've been listening to your cover a lot :)
    Please record some more
    Hi @dogmeat the song is from the band “Kill it Kid”, the singer made a new band already which is very cool too its called “ida mae”
    edited May 2019
    Thanks. Found it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4S2WiLJsFI

Still digging your voice over he's :)
    edited September 2019
    Man i'm still listening to this almost daily. When can we enjoy more @Gaston_Jauregui

Tried to record this myself, and it really boosted the respect for your performance :smile:
    Hi @dogmeat you can always check my YouTube channel www.YouTube.com/chatclap or Spotify :) look for me as “Gastón uninspired” some music is in Spanish since it’s my first language, but you can find some in English, thanks for the support man!
    edited September 2019
    Hey @Gaston_Jauregui i've already subbed to you channel. I've digging your Spanish stuff too :smile:
    Take your time and keep up the good attitude.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I can't believe it's taken me so long to listen to this! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Amazing!
  • fcltzfcltz Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    Great tone and distortion!
  • BBeckBBeck 2.0 PRO Posts: 30
    edited December 2019
    This is going to sound a bit harsh, but I go the hardest on the best. Hear me out.

The piano is horrendous. I love a big growly piano, but it's stepping all over the vocals. You've gotta do something to get that piano to stop stepping all over the vocals. My first suggestion is to get a better piano. It sounds to me like a sampled piano and not very natural. Maybe compression/limiting to pull it back and get it out of the vocals, but really I would consider just going for a piano that complements your voice better. Compressing it might keep it level where you can then pull it back in volume and still feel like it supports you well, even then I feel like you can find a better and more natural piano sound.

Edit: Actually in a second listen, it's not really just the piano, there are other instruments stepping on the vocal. I think it's kind of a pad sound without really digging deep into the analysis. Maybe just more compression on the vocals to bring them forward and get them on top of the other instruments might do the trick.

But those vocals. O-M-G You're Jon Bon Jovi. I only wish my voice sounded that beautiful! Amazing! I just want that piano to get out of my way so that I can hear that beautiful voice. I think the fry is what really sells it for me. More compression on the vocals to pull it forward. And keep at it!

And It sounds like English is not your first language, not based on Caroline (because that was spot on perfect) here but based on you sing quite a bit in Spanish. As a native English speaker, I didn't even pick up on that until I heard you sing in Spanish. Perfect English. I may have to post the Spanish song I'm working on just to get some feedback on how well my Spanish singing is coming along. But absolutely flawless English on your part. I would have thought English is your first language.

Edit: I read further down in the posts and that I was right that English is not your first language. So let me reiterate. PERFECT English in Caroline; I didn't even suspect until I went further into the posts and saw you singing in Spanish. I try to speak a hand full of other languages besides my native English; so I understand how difficult it can be to get an accent right. I never even suspected that you were not a native English speaker listening to Caroline. Awesome job! Again, it makes me want to post one of my Spanish covers to get some feedback as to how I am doing with the accent.

Just to add to that a bit. Get into a good studio with professional mix engineers and they will work out all the problems here, but I have to agree with Dog Meat; you sound WAY better than the original by a long shot. Very nice voice and very good control over it!
    Hi @BBeck hi everybody i appreciate your detailed feedback, i actually never liked the mix, in fact i have been wanting ro redo the whole thing, i liked the performance vocally but i bought new equipment (preamps and compressors actually and yeah the piano is the sample from logic, i appreciate the time you took to analyze the details, yes, spanish is my first language, if you heard me speak english you would notice, hahaha when i sing i can hide it easier, i guess because we avoid to over pronounce and maintain the thorat open, I suppose that has a lot to do with it, and i lived in LA for around 3 years, that definitely helped, but yeah, you would tell if you heard me speak english hahaha, another thing is yes im a Bon jovi and also GnR (axl rose) fan, so if you hear any of the two in my voices, yes in a huge fan, i also love Chris Cornell and Glenn Huges, to me, this last one is the best rock singer out there, taking in consideration his age and vocal agility, range etc, he is a belting machine both in chest and head, he is the dimash of rock n roll hahaha also a fan of the original singer of this song, he has a quite different voice highly recommend you to listen to more of his music

Thanks again for the analysis!

Gaston
    @BBeck by the way, if you want me to listen to your spanish would be glad to help! :)
  • guzmanguzman 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    Hi @Gaston_Jauregui congratulations! You did an amazing cover. In my humble opinion, great support, great tone, really good precision in the notes and I really liked the mix between clean and distorted voice.

Thanks for sharing! Really good job!
  • Jack_haddadJack_haddad 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    edited January 2020
    Great cover Gaston! amazing work! And nice to meet you here on the forum!

I've bought the course a long time ago but just got into the swing of things
  • jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    uuuuuuuuuuuuugh that was an amazing cover @Gaston_Jauregui. Holy smokes. I am so excited to be surrounded by such killer vocalists in the KTVA Forum. Your distortion is so controlled. You know exactly when you want to sing clean and when you want to dirty it up. That's what I am aiming to be able to do. Killer dude..damn
  • ErnestoErnesto 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    Yes, you sound really professional - awesome! And thank you @Gaston_Jauregui for telling how you practise. This helps a lot while I'm studying the course !
  • GidpickerGidpicker 2.0 PRO Posts: 22
    Great professional sound.
    Keep up the good work.
    I really enjoy listening your music
  • crabolacrabola Pro Posts: 20
    Awesome!! Great range! Nice distortion in your voice!