Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Smoking. Say what?

Hey guys,

I smoke. And yes, I know (at least I assume) that smoking affects your vocal range and capabilities (does it really?). So my question really is; is there a way to keep on smoking and still train me voice to become an awesome rock singer or should I quit smoking? 

JD

P.S. I don't want to quit smoking
P.S.S. Smoking gives my voice a little bit of roughness which I like but it also decreases my vocal range

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Joris,

Smoking is not great for the voice for so many reasons. All that smoke over the cords fries them, dries them out, causes extra phlegm, as well as swelling. Not great if you want the most out of your voice. That being said it is a hard habit to break and many great singers smoke. It will inhibit you so you have to set your priorities. All the best!
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Joris,

Smoking is not great for the voice for so many reasons. All that smoke over the cords fries them, dries them out, causes extra phlegm, as well as swelling. Not great if you want the most out of your voice. That being said it is a hard habit to break and many singers smoke. It will inhibit you so you have to set your priorities. All the best!