Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Worried about Inguinal Hernia :/ VOL. 3

Hi there, another KTVA disciple here with an embarrassing problem!

Been on Vol. 3 now for about 2 weeks (after about 4 months on V2 and 2-3 on V1) , and boy is it transforming my voice. Glottal compression is revolutionizing my singing and I feel like i'm about to break boundaries over the next couple of months. However, things have taken a turn for the scary over the last couple of days - I have experienced mild testicular pain and slight aching emitting from my inguinal rings over the last two nights (along with lower abdominal fatigue - as if I'd just done a good few hundred crunches), just for a couple of hours AFTER singing before it subsides completely. Now, at first I assumed something as awful as an STD, but after lots of research, I am fairly confident this issue is related to the incredible new amount of support that getting through the workout and an hour and a half of singing afterwards requires. I expect that I need to be taking things slower (although vocally I can happily navigate through the exercises) and possibly do some core strengthening or pelvic floor exercises? My fear was compounded by "appoggio" being hailed on this book page (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G69MDCyE8F4C&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=inguinal+hernia+appoggio&source=bl&ots=RQBcSB-r-_&sig=oCLJ-Tj7SMvSnxbdbdTNeyUP_ik&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DfCuVJTUA8HvUoW_gLAB&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=inguinal hernia appoggio&f=false) as presenting an increased risk of inguinal hernia. Also these horror stories (http://loudwire.com/machine-head-exit-current-tour-as-frontman-robb-flynn-undergoes-emergency-surgery/) about Rob Flynn experiencing double inguinal hernia's don't help :P At the end of the day, I just don't want to lose this new voice i'm finally getting a hold of due to surgery or whatever, and was wondering if anyone had any views or experience of this under-reported problem.. :) 

Sorry for the rant, KTVA is the WAY FORWARD!

EDIT: Just to confirm, I don't think I HAVE the hernia as of yet, but the symptoms are indicative of intense pressure and I want to make sure I prevent it happening. I really can't afford to stop singing as I have a marked degree performance coming up!

Comments

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Hi GDavies,

Most inguinal hernias happen because an opening in the muscle wall does not close as it should before birth. That leaves a weak area in the belly muscle. Pressure on that area can cause tissue to push through and bulge out. A hernia can occur soon after birth or much later in life. (it's not from singing... however any heavy abdominal strain can trigger something that was already there and would have surfaced regardless at some point in life).

You are more likely to get (or exacerbate) a hernia if you are overweight or you do a lot of lifting, coughing, or straining. 

The main symptom of an inguinal hernia is a bulge in the groin or scrotum. It often feels like a round lump. The bulge may form over a period of weeks or months. Or it may appear all of a sudden after you have been lifting heavy weights, coughing, bending, straining, or laughing. The hernia may be painful, but some hernias cause a bulge without pain.

An inguinal hernia isn't necessarily dangerous by itself. It doesn't get better or go away on its own, however, and it can lead to life-threatening complications. (Robb Flynn has had this condition for many years and ignored it in the name of rock and roll).

I strongly recommend you stop applying lower groin/abdominal pressure for about 2 weeks to see if the swelling goes down. Please consult a physician if you feel you are a candidate for this.

It is a rare condition, but it does happen. (again especially in people who do heavy lifting or a of of crunches etc.)

-KT

• gdaviesgdavies Pro Posts: 2
    Thanks for your valuable time Ken, means a lot :) 
    That's cleared up a lot of my questions, so much obliged!

- Greg
  • Emmanuel62Emmanuel62 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Hi, guys! I just want to know, since I my cousin have a hernia, we are going for an alternative meds. I have read many articles about medical cannabis ... BLA, BLA, BLA (SPAM deleted by Admin)
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Don't spam our forums.