Home Psychology of Singing

despair

OK, I am very new to singing, its the first time I have recorded my singing.omg, it's sooo bad, yet the girls at work say they like me singing?. Does everybody hate the sound of there own voice?!!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    Hi @kirk , just believe the girls! seriously, it is totally normal to hate it if you have never heard your own voice before. what you hear inside your head is so different from what reaches the outside world. hence the "shock".

you will get used to it. don't let it discourage you. I think you'd be the first person to not be shocked to hear it for the first time.

best, Klaus
  • DevonMooreDevonMoore Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
    @kirk everyone "normally" hates the sound of their own voice at first.

You will start to like it the more you hear it and more important is that recording your training and practice will develop your ear so you can keep improving your voice.

Post a sample of you doing the scales and get some real feedback.
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    I still feel this way sometimes.
  • It's typical, and common for people to not like the sound of their voice. You only hear your voice from the inside, and when you hear it from the outside, to you it will sound different, but it really isn't different.

I was the same way, and still don't like my sound on certain things, but I just keep working at it, and it gets better by the day.

Peace, Tony
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited January 2019
    you´ll more likely get used to your voice more than liking it, at least thats how I feel, you might think "that was well performed" or good or bad or "awesomely performed", instead of "oh woow i have an amazing voice" hahaha, but other people will really love your sound which is what really matters
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Totally agree with Gaston here. However, you'll get used to hearing yourself from recordings etc. The better you get, the more you'll like you own voice. But you'll only get better with good training!
  • kirkkirk Member Posts: 11
    Hi to everyone for your comments and support,nearly bought me to tears haha, quess im going to have to save them for when i sing!! Onethings for sure im going sing till i die !! (back to my spare room tapes and headphones on) tks guys
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @victortang roger love’s set your voice free book was the first book I ever bought about singing, I actually met him in Los Angeles because I was studying at musicians Institute and he gave a master class there, to be honest, his exercises cant be compared to Ken’s technique, but he is right on the fact that the 90% of the people or more, dont like their voices, and yes, thats what everybody hears, I personally hate my speaking voice , at least im used to singing and hearing my voice in recordings, but my speaking voice is the most nasal in the world I just cant stand hear me speak, and to know that, thats what everybody is listening to, uggh!!!
  • Gary_Williamson1971Gary_Williamson1971 3.0 Streaming Posts: 13
    I remember hearing a recording of my speaking voice for the first time when i was a teenager.. it was weird. My hearing was damaged in my late teens by an industrial explosion.. which was a "prank" by co workers in a metal profiling factory.. they were wearing ear defenders.. i wasnt.
    Dont hate your own voice. Be very very thankful that you can actually hear it as others can. If you couldnt, it would be very frustrating. 🤘🤘🤘
  • kirkkirk Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Gary guess i understand what you mean, i loss my hearing in my right ear in an accident.But hey got one left practice so much my wife actually ask ME if I'm am going solo at a show or something!! its been four weeks and im start to get some pings Gary but a Show heads in the clouds i reckon, thanks again regards Kirk