Home Welcome

Vocal Range

Elijah9Elijah9 2.0 PRO Posts: 73
Hej!
What vocal type am i
I can sing down to G1 but comfortably till G2 and on the upper side till F5 in falsetto but comfortably around D5 when i just flip in the head voice

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Ilija,

I guess you are male, aren't you? To give you the classification you would be judged in the classical "fachs" we need to know your primo and secundo passagio.

But to be honest, we do not think in such classifications here at KTVA because Ken teaches us how to sing far beyond the range we would be able without knowing his techniques.

Doc
  • Elijah9Elijah9 2.0 PRO Posts: 73
    Yes i am a male.

Primo passagio is where i switch from speaking to calling register and secundo from calling register to falsetto ?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Well my first switch from speaking to call register start's around Eb4-F4 and a switch from calling to falsetto is around B4-C5
    Hi @Ilija,

I think that you would than be judged a (very) high tenor, "tenorino". So you should be able to sing along with Sam Smith in most parts very easily.

Maybe you want to post a demo here. We could give you some advice how to grow your voice - if you want. We have here very experienced students.

Hope that helps,

Doc

Hey!

Thank you so much for help ... I will post some demo's in the future.

Can you just tell me on which singers i should focus for my vocal type ... I was mainly focused on Frank Sinatra because of the low larynx position(Ken said we should learn low larynx first)and it fits me really really good with the range.I love listening to Rock and Pop especially Brendon Urie.

Sam Cooke, Sam Smith, David Bowie, The Black Boys in the Hair musical, Prince, ....there are so many! And of course, you should try to sing "High Hopes".

Doc
    Charlie Puth, Shawn Mendes, ... and so many, many others. You are living in a tenor's world.

Doc
    Yea im trying High Hopes for couple months and the Chorus is high for me.Does Brendon sing High Hopes chorus in the call register or in the mixed?

Thanks in advance
    Hi @Ilija,

if you could post a demo, we would be able to give you concrete advice. I would like a "High hopes"-demo from you. Doc
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @Ilija he is in his head voice for the chorus. BUT!!!!!!! .... be very careful, this song is heavily auto tuned for stylistic reasons. You are not going to be able to replicate this song a capella, and trying would IMO be a very bad idea. You can try to figure out what key he is singing in and then work out the melody based on that, and then sing it that way but as I have warned it will not sound like the "radio" version.
    @doc_ramadani
    I will practice the song as best as i can and i will post the demo...

Thanks from Sweden
    @HuduVudu I'm watching the acoustic version.Do you think i can first try with that version because i think he is singing it in lower key and then i can jump on the real thing?
    I'm currently practicing chest voice trying to strech it as long as possible but i have some falsetto not to bright tho because i do not practice it...Is it a good to start this song or to try some other of his song were he is in his chest and belt register?
    @Ilija ,

any demo will be welcome.

Doc
    Ok looked at the acoustic version. He is switching back and forth between head and chest. He is not really mixing, on the lower parts (that are still high) he is in chest and in the higher parts he is in his head voice. The transitions are pretty stark. I am not sure if that is what he is intending or if he is just unable to properly mix. Either way that is what is happening. Just an interesting side note he misses several note transitions. It could be that he is very near the top of his range and is struggling to make those transitions. This could also be why it was decided that the radio version would be auto tuned.

Unless you auto tune you can not recreate the radio version. The acoustic version will be what you can do normally with your voice. Also the radio version seems to be at a higher key than the acoustic. If you wanted to be more like the radio version as I stated before you could determine the key and sing it in that key, but without auto tune you can not get the robotic sound that is in the radio version.

As far as songs go to start with this one would not be my first choice. There are a lot of things to work out with it and I suspect that you don't easily have the range that is needed. Even Brendon is struggling with the lowered key in the acoustic version. Try to find a song that you like that is WELL WITHIN your range. That way you can easily make the transitions and work out the mechanics of the song.
    Shane ( @HuduVudu ), MAN, so great that you kicked in, where can I find that acoustic version.

Doc
    edited January 2019
    SHANE, OMG, thanks for that link.
    SPEECHLESS! like I was when I saw Ken the first time!
    @HuduVudu , @doc_ramadani
    Thanks guys... i will search for another song that is better for my still developing range...Sing and post it here ... if i have some more questions i will ask you guys :smile:
    Kewl ... look forward to it.
    @HuduVudu
    Hi!
    You said that Brendon is on the "High Hopes"
    Chorus part where he is singing:"Had to have high, high hopes for a living
    Shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing"...
    In his head voice... that is confusing me because Ken said that the head voice is the "Reinforced Falsetto" so i thought this must be his upper chest register ... belt or mix ...
    Can you just explain me and not only for that song well how can i recognize it in the future...
    "Reinforced Falsetto" is not upper chest register.

It is possible (and desirable) to sing the same note in both head voice and in chest voice. I do it every day in my practices.

I think what is most confusing you is that head voice and chest voice are not a set of notes but a way of singing notes. It is easier to sing lower notes in chest and it is easier to sing higher notes in head but there is an in between where both can be sung. We get mix voice in the in between area where both notes can be sung. In this area we can choose to "mix" how much of one voice we want in the sound, or we can just sing "pure" chest or head.

I think it is necessary to clarify what head and chest mean sonically. First of all, the two voices are produced by resonating in different places in you face/head. I won't get into those places because there are varying opinions on where that happens. Suffice to say they don't happen in the same place. The sound that is produced from either voice has overtones that favor a lower frequency or a higher frequency depending on which voice you are in. It is these overtones that give the quality of either chest or head.

Hopefully that clarifies what is happening.
    Those overtones in chorus "High Hopes" have higher frequency's and because of them Brendon is mixing the voice and in that mix he is using more head voice to hit those higher notes?
    He is not mixing. He is bouncing back and forth between chest voice and head voice.

Why he is doing this and not mixing can only be understood by him.
    edited January 2019
    I'm watching Ken's live on chest head and mix and he is talking about Rob that did the break down analysis of the vocal tone quality...do you know how can i find that?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2019
    I have permission problem... Is it because i dont have course?
    edited January 2019
    Yes, as a "Member" you can only see only a small part of the forums. You can't access all the students' areas.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    Brendan Urie is an amazing singer, doesn't stop to amaze me, I would not think he could sing that high and control his voice, by hearing the tone of his voice, he sounds kind of covered on chest, when he is in his chest, but he knows how to open the sound, Ken explains it very well in this video he has an amazing head voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-yWH8yJd0