Home Welcome

Hello, you guys! :)

jellyjelly Enrolled Posts: 31

My name is Jelly. I have a dream joining xfactor 2012. But I'm just a beginner and the open audition 2013 is coming in next May. I don't have much time.  I need someone to tell me and check the song choices for me to apply and joint it. I'm from Houston and I need help via webcam because I can not come to California for singing lessons. This will change my life forever. So that I can help a lot of people in my country. So if who can help me I thank you much and never forget from bottom of my heart. I love our forum very much. It gives me inspiration to make my dream come true. And I believe your teaching is my strength and I believe in You and Me. It means a lot to me. >.<

God Bless,

Jelly >,<

Answers

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Jelly,

It's good to hear from you.  You have a lot of work ahead of you, so it's time to get started!  We all have to start somewhere, and from there, the sky's the limit!

It's all up to you how far you will get by next May.  Follow Ken's instructions in the videos as closely as possible and do the audio workouts every day, six days a week if you are able.  Your voice will grow like crazy. 

You can record demos of yourself on your webcam and post links to them here.  We will listen and make suggestions on what you need to do to fine tune your progress.  You might consider having some webcams with Ken along the way.

Here's to a bright singing future for you!

Bob

• jellyjelly Enrolled Posts: 31

Thank you Bob much :) .  I will attach the link of webcam record here and do whatever I can do for you to listen and tell me . Its really helpful and good solution for me. Thank you again >,< Bob

God Bless,

Jelly

• VoxVox Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2012

Hi Jelly,

I'm confused here. You mentioned you are a beginner and need to be ready for May to join the show.. It's rather easy for someone to be apart of that show, as long as they can somewhat carry a tune, (they look at other factors as well, such as appearance, stage presence, personality etc)..

However, the part the confuses me is that you haven't done this course yet (still showing a member status - like myself), and want KTVA to evaluate, and give input on your song choices.....
    Listening to a few songs that you have lined up, will not demostrate the ability to vocally compete within a competition such as the Xfactor, as they throw all types of songs your way throughout.. .
    They can give you suggestions on your vocal performances here, but it still doesn't give you a pure outlook especially if you are singing incorrectly...

I would suggest for the input you are seeking, to go to as many open mic nights, karaoke nights and busking as you possibly can and get the real deal from people if you can compete in a competion such as the Xfactor.

HOWEVER, the first step you should do regardless if you are ready for the xfactor in May this round.. Is order and apply yourself to the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Bundle and start training your voice to become the best singer you can possibly be, and have a chance to win the $5,000000.00 on the Xfactor 2014. ;-)

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited December 2012

We Welcome everyone here, whether member or enrolled.

Most of the advice that we give here references items from the KTVA videos or audio exercises.  Those exercises and videos are essential to developing your voice. 

We can evaluate a person's voice whether they are enrolled or not.

They really need the KTVA program in order to get meaningful guidance and a firm foundation for building their voice.  The advice given here makes a great reference for enrolled students, as they can get clarification on any items from the KTVA Stages that they may be having difficulties with.  Only so much can come from a question and answer format without the KTVA foundational basis for reference.

Bob

• VoxVox Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2012

Thank you Bob much :). I will attach the link in a few days.

God bless,

Jelly >,<

This is  my record after more than 1 week taking Ken's instruction. In this video I  have some strain that someone will hear that.

Thank you.

God Bless,

Jelly >,<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OrIy6dHY48

You guys should copy the link and paste on youtube.com in the case you can not open that. Sorry and thank you much!

God Bless,

Jelly

AND I bought 3 volume, downloading version but why my status still under memer, not enrolled and what do enrolled students can see.

God Bless,

Jelly

Jelly,

In order to change your status from member to Enrolled, please send an email to ktvahelp@gmail.com.

Put in the title of the email "Forum Status to Enrolled".

Please copy and paste into your email a copy of your emailed receipt from KTVA which shows your purchase.

You can copy this message too and put it in your email.

Your member status will then be changed to Enrolled. That will give you access to a lot more areas of the KTVA Forums.   It will also give you access to the recordings of the Webinars, which have a lot of information on several topics which you will find helpful.

I'll listen to your demo and see if I can give you some feedback.

Bob

edited December 2012

Hello again, Jelly.

I listened to your demo.  Thank you for posting the link.

I have a couple of things that I would suggest to you that will help you with your voice.  You need to concentrate on support and you need to open up your voice.

These are two very important areas.  I myself am still working to improve my support.  You will find a lot of information on support in your KTVA stages, and also in the Webinars on the forum.  All of our singing takes place on the exhaled breath.  Support is how we use our entire body to control the release of that breath, so that our voice can ride on that cushion of controlled air.  Learning to master support is a huge part of learning to master your voice.

Another thing that you need to focus on is to "Open Up" your voice.  Like when Ken is teaching you "It's the LAH!!  AHH!  AHH!!!  Open up the back of the throat (like in the beginning of a yawn) and really brighten up the tone.  Make it loud and make it very Open and Bright!  Make it a little TOO BRIGHT and that will be just about right. 

I myself have also had problems with my voice being too"covered" or closed down.  It's a common thing, but a tendency that we want to correct.  Instead of being covered, we need our sound to be OPEN.  Wide Open.

Watch the videos with these things in mind and see if it makes sense to you.  I hear a beautiful voice inside of you that wants to be released.  Opening up and supporting more will be a good start. 

You are just getting started on a journey that will continue for as long as you are a singer.  Some of it will move quickly and some of it will take a lot of concentration and effort on your part. 

We will help you along that journey.

Ask more questions as they arise and we will be glad to help. 

Bob

Thank you Bob, I will do to change and continue to attach my new demo here for you to listen.

God Bless,

Jelly

I like the song in this video but don't know how to do the sound after la la la... do do..... Can you guys take a look and show me how to do that and other technique she used. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkNpcrSIKQ

God Bless,

Jelly

And an other question, Can you guys tell me more about webinars. It's really new to me. I will take a look and find out later. Thank you.

God Bless,

Jelly

Jelly,

First your question about the sound after the la la la on your video clip above.  Ella Henderson is going into another vocal register that is called flageolet or "whistle voice".  Flageolet is not a part of the KTVA program, so I don't think we'll be showing you how to do that one.  It is a limited register, above soprano head voice, so it is of limited value. 

It is somewhere over the next passagio, way, way up high.  

If you get all of the techiques of KTVA mastered, then maybe that would be something to worry about, but there are so many basic important things to cover and conquer that flageolet is not going to be one of them, at least at the present time.

Your second question is regarding the webinars.  Webinars are like live television broadcasts on your computer.  Ken has been presenting these about every two weeks now for a while.  There is a break going on right now, due to the holiday season, but the next webinar is scheduled for Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time and the topic will be Studio Recording.  Here is a link to that webinar:

https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/60f55bc4/17874699

After that the next webinar will be on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time and the topic will be Ultimate Headvoice Workouts. Here is a link to that webinar:  

https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/60f55bc4/17874703

You click on the link a few minutes before the webinar starts.  If it's your first webinar, you may need to allow a little time to download the application that runs the webinar.   The webinar starts and Ken Tamplin comes on and talks to all of us about the topic he is presenting.  You see him and hear him.  At the end, Ken usually takes questions from the participants and answers them live during the broadcast.  He also gives demonstrations and examples of what he is teaching that day. 

The webinars are recorded and are available for download to enrolled students in the webinar category of the KTVA Forum. If you are unable to join the live webcast, you can download it later and still have the benefit of viewing the information.  Also, if you were there, but want to have a copy for later review, the recordings are nice to reference.

All the best!

Bob

I am practising with notes on piano by myself but i have no clue about notes, high notes, chest notes, or other notes I don't know what to call. Its really new to me.  Can you guys tell me each name of popular notes I should know and practise. Thank you! :)

God Bless,

Jelly

edited January 2013

@jelly,

We don't know your vocal range, so we would just be guessing.  You can start learning a little bit about piano notes, and from there you can begin to get a handle on what your present range is and perhaps what you would like to work towards.

On your demo, your highest note was an A4 and your lowest note was an F#3.  I think with a little practice a D4 would be a good short-range high note goal for you.  It's a good idea to maybe put some stickers on your piano keyboard so you can have an idea what range you are singing in.  As you begin to learn a little bit about your current capabilities, you can gradually expand your range, and learn to work with the tone as you go up and down in your scales and melodies.

You actually want to practice ALL of the notes that you are capable of singing, and learn which ones you sound best on, and which ones you need to work on more.  Go from the bottom of your range to the top on the Lah, and hit all of the notes, black and white keys.  Get to know your singing voice a little at a time.  Spend as much time as you can learning more about what you can do, simply by singing notes. 

Do Ken's exercises, and see where on your keyboard the exercises are.  Then use your keyboard to help focus on some of the areas and notes you need to spend more time on.  

Bob

Can you guys tell me where I should hold my breath and  how glottal compression work? Thank you!

God Bless,

Jelly

edited January 2013

@jelly,

At this time, glottal compression is a bit too advanced.  It's important for you to become well-established with all of the basics of singing.  Let's start with the foundation, and work our way up to the top, one step at a time.  Glottal Compression is hard to get a grasp on even for students who have been working out at Stage Three for a while. 

Don't worry, you'll get there, but let's build a good, strong foundation before we try to put the roof on the house.

Watch Ken's videos in Stage One.  He shows you how to expand your abdomen when you breathe in.  This is to make more room for the lower part of your lungs to fill with air.  Keep your ribcage expanded.  Fill your lungs in your ribcage to half to three-quarters full and hold that position.  Then breathe into the lower part of your lungs and expand your abdomen all the way around your waist to make more room.

Keep the ribcage expansion static and hold that position, even as you are letting the air out and singing.  Only relax the suspended ribcage when you are completely done with your phrase. Relax for just a moment and then re-establish your expanded chest and abdomen for the next breath and phrase. 

Do your singing on the lower part of your lungs, not what is in your upper ribcage.  Let your abdomen come in as you slowly use the air from around your abdominal area.

Learn to push down on this expanded abdominal area when you go to higher notes.  Let the force you exert to get to the higher notes be expended pushing down on your abdominal area, not pushing or forcing on your larynx.

This will all make sense to you as you keep doing it and learning what it feels like and how it changes your sound.

Good singing to you!

Bob

I'm practising 3 volumes now very often  and I see my voice changing. I'm very happy about that  but still really need someone practise with me If you guys have time, help me this. I mean to join lessons with Ken every months to prepare for the contest.Thank you!

God Bless,

Jelly

• KenboKenbo Pro Posts: 26
    @jelly , I commend such enthusiasm and high goal-setting! However, please be careful . . . Not about practicing too much, but about moving on to more advanced concepts and possibly, more demanding focus, control, and awareness before all aspects are ready. As far as practice goes, and this goes for myself and anyone else that is starting from scratch, . . . an hour of practice a day is great, but it is still only a fraction of the time we might have already spent developing some proficiency in other areas of our lives (education, piano, wood-working . . .); so squeeze-in as much practice as your schedule allows and goals require! Sing on! -Kenbo
  • DavidGDavidG Pro Posts: 65
    @Kenbo How many hours are you putting in at the moment? I heard you just had a major breakthrough and I'm interested in finding out how you got there! :) - David
    edited February 2013
    @DavidG , hey David, quick answer is roughly 2 hrs, 6-7 days a week. Plus, I have recently started reading through this forum and checking-out the webinars. The long answer (as of about 2 weeks ago) is: -Vol3/lesson24 ( ha, ha, ha . . .) 2x's. -Vol2/all lessons. -Vol3/lesson24, again 2x's (the second time is NEVER as good as the first!). -Vol1/lesson10-end. -Try applying to various songs as time allows. Prior to 2 weeks ago I was simply doing vol2, then trying to apply to songs. At today's session, I experienced the same "good" feeling as yesterday, and today I didn't even feel like doing it all (for fear of "losing it"). Thanks for asking, I will look around for some of your posts! Take care. -Kenbo
    @Kenbo  thanks for both answers Kenbo,

yeah I've mainly been doing Vol 2 workout, which has been great for tone and flexibility but I'm not reaching the highest notes yet!  - ("relax David you're not a tenor")
     I think I need to focus more on the ha ha ha exercise - sometimes I forget that it exists...as far as I recall, the ha ha ha in Volume 3 is extremely fast! - I'm nowhere near that tempo yet but i guess persistence should pay off. 

David
    edited February 2013
    @DavidG, Yeh, that "ha" exercise is fast but it does build something up as those muscles do get tired after my first go-around.  I still have a ways to go too. I'm not technically able to properly convey what physically led to the change, but in hopes that it may help you or others, I'll try to describe it (maybe someone else will be able to put the proper terms around it?) as I feel it. Before my "mini breakthrough", when going into head-voice, something in my throat would actually shift; it was minor and it did lead me to the higher pitches . . . so I just thought that over time THAT would become powerful.  After receiving the feedback from @highmtn, I realized that I was completely wrong and was kind of wasting my time on the higher stuff.   Sooo . . . Now I make sure there is NO such shifting, the tongue totally STAYS DOWN, the voice/sensation keeps on going up the throat ( through KT's "elevator shaft"), and of course, working the ever-growing SUPPORT muscles.  Seriously, if I happen to review anything while driving, I have to make sure no one has their windows down . . . It is WAY more powerful than anything I've ever experienced.   The odd thing is this is just what KT has been saying on the tracks.  It's all there . . . I (we) just have to distill the words/descriptions to the proper actions.   I was unable to listen to your song sample  . . . A page loaded, but nothing would play; I'm guessing it's because I'm traveling and using an iPad right now.  I will try on a pc when I return back to the mighty midwest.   If this is helpful in any way, please share.  Sing on!  -Kenbo
    @Kenbo that is very helpful Kenbo! you have described something that sounds very familiar, in that I sus[ect I am not getting the exercises quite right. The high notes just seem to be out of reach...completely, so quite likely I am doing something wrong.
    I'm not managing to get the tongue to stay down on the Aa vowel or the Ee vowel...it's fine on the Ah but that's all! That could be a big part of my difficulty. Better have a consultation with Dr Ken I reckon!

I've spent the last thirty years thinking that only chest voice existed (and maybe falsetto) I was completely unaware of the concept of "mix" so this is all a bit of a revelation for me! My sample track is pre KTVA and it just shows some of the strangeness that I have fun with (ridiculously low 'vocal fry' recorded close-up) 

I really appreciate your feedback Kenbo...it seems to suggest that there may still be a way forward (upward) :) - David
    Thank you guys!
    Thank you Kenbo!