Home Off Topic

what vocal technique is this rapper doing?

lukecholeslukecholes Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
Hello, i was listening to this rapper and i want to imitate the vocal technique he applies at sort of 1 minute.
he continues this with the phrase "you should have known i was coming"

It sounds like hes shouting but wouldnt this hurt his voice? is he just using his diaghram well and doing it at a low volume with a lot of integrity? can anyone offer insight please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pteqWRYu4

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    That part is very reminiscent of Eminem.

He is not using vocal technique there. That is hard core distortion. I doubt that he has any training so it is raw. If you want to imitate that safely you need to clean it up and use a strong belt from your chest. To start out don't use any distortion at all just make it clean. After you have it where you think it sounds good then add a little bit of distortion using what we have learned and see if it sounds like you want it. Keep adding a bit in until you get it close. You don't want to go full out like he did but I am pretty sure that you can add in just enough to fool your audience into thinking you are using full on distortion.
  • lukecholeslukecholes Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    have we covered distortion on one of the series? im only on volume 2!

thank you for this comment its very insightful - i started releasing raps this week and feel it would add to what im doing but i covered j coles new song this week!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eDxgN0Dggs

thanks again!
    LOL distortion is covered extensively in Volume 3. You're almost there :sunglasses:
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @lukecholes,

wow, very cool. "i've been high, I've been low"- Me too! :smile:

I am not a rap listener, but my kiddies listen to rap a lot. So I am a little familiar with the rap sound you are looking for. And yes, your vocals sound a little bit too pleasant for the sound you are aiming for. How long you are on Volume 2?

BTW, your timing is awesome. For example on "how Ariana did" - very good. I love your triplets. Also your parallel processing on the vocals is great. Congrats to your engineer.

Maybe it is the right time to bring on some distortion SAFELY! And so, my question is again: "How long you have been on Volume 2?".

Cool tune,
    Doc
    hi thank you doc!

i have done it on and off for 3 months but i spent probably 9 months on 1 as i was away from home and had the audio on my phone for the work outs.

I think I will go to volume to volume 3 as i intend to release covers as and when big songs come out.

thanks to both of you I look forward to learning distortion!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @lukecholes,

Welcome, so I think you might want to have a sneak preview on the Volume 3 videos on distortion.

Doc
    hey doc,

i just opened vol 3 and i couldnt see anything explicitly called distortion, is it the glottal compression?

thank you!!
    Yes. Just remember @lukecholes we are in a non-student area. :)
    we are in a non-student area.

This is Sir @HuduVudu: Nothing escapes his attention. :D
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354