Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

What's this Tibetan technique called?

She sings "a-ba-ya" around 1:25 on this video. The "ba" has some kind of vibrato or yodelling and I sound like a goat when I try to replicate it. I'd love to google around and learn how to do it correctly, but I don't even know what keywords to use -- would anyone know what the technique's called?

Answers

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @nado,

yes this sounds very interesting, but to be honest: I have no clue how she does this. Sorry that I can't help you. Maybe some of the more seasoned singers in this forums can help you.

Doc
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @nado , not that I am a seasoned singer (far from it), but I think it is what you said, a vibrato. I think I heard Ken mention it in one of the videos that there are different vibratos, as in they are created at a different place in the body. also, some he "judges" as being technically superior to others.

Maybe this video will be of interest for you:

https://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/how-to-sing/vibrato
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited February 2019
    Hm. It's a type of yodel, she does it pretty fast so it's pretty hard to replicate. So she basically gets this sort of break sound, lets say like you're going from chest to head voice but with a notable break. I can sort of replicate that. I was actually JUST practicing it, because I saw Dimash doing it and thought it would be a fun technique to pick up.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    If you youtube Tibetan throat singing technique there are quite a few good videos. My mother went on a cycling tour in Mongolia and asked me to put the music to their footage. Its different from what you are asking but amazing to hear. Reminds me of a didgeridoo.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It's a choppy vibrato, rather than a smoother type. Not quite caprino, a little slower than a goat's wiggle.