Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

Microphone position during performance

Tomorrow I am performing my first gig in years (outdoors farmers market). Any tips on microphone placement/position, relative to my head? How far from the mic should I be?

I am playing guitar at the same time, so no holding the mic in my hand.

Comments

• Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I'll give my attempt at an answer. I think the microphone should be about two to three inches from your mouth. And you should turn your head away from it when you are singing louder so it doesn't sound like you are shouting at the audience. I'm sure there are others with more experience who will give more advice.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Axelorox,

with the dynamic microphones (i.e. Shure SM58, ...) we normally use for live performances @Michael4000 is absolut right.

Doc
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited February 2019
    @Axelorox , cool, hope you have fun at the show! hope this doesn't come to late :)

Since I am also preparing for an upcoming show, I was looking into it a bit myself .

what @Michael4000 said, plus, depending on the level you sing at you can actually "eat the mic" and touch it with your lips, good on softer parts (if the mic is yours or clean, some are really grubby and then probs best to avoid this). also, make sure the mic does not cover your face, you can point it to your mouth from slightly below, people want to see your face vs. it being covered by the mic.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2019
    I tend to eat the mic, and I like the mic to be a straight shot into my pie hole. It might obscure my face a bit, but allows me to really control my dynamics and it also ensures that my voice is the primary thing the mic is picking up. Consider a Mic that has a very tight cardiod field. Just don't be a moron like me and place a songsheet stand right in front of you. If you need it, keep it off to the side for when you need it, so to not block off your torso. (I watched the film afterwards and realized my faux pas)
  • QuackSingerQuackSinger 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
    I guess thisa is one of the things I am struggling with. I am use to a directional mic, more of what they would use classical singing. I am singing every sunday at church and people have told me that they can not hear me, and when thay are at home they can not hear me online. How do I learn the right mic placement?

The other issue is that because our praise band is not paid and everyone has a job, we only get one hor to run through the songs together and they we are live. I can not fix this but what is the best way for me to deal with it?
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Get closer to the mic?