Home Vocal Health and Wellness

how to conserve my air in the diaphragm

gusLgusL 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 8
any tips on how to conserve my air? i find when i try to hold air in, i actually push more out. i know im doing something wrong
thanks

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    You need to conserve air by using less when you sing. This is the reason for building diaphragmatic support.
    Check out this video on how to build proper support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE
  • gusLgusL 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 8
    i know that. The trouble i'm having is i don't know how to use less of it, if that makes sense. Ive been doing all the support exercises for awhile now and i still can't control my air.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Well. The first thing to ask is. How are you breathing in? Are you overfilling you lungs with air?
    Are you taking a correct posture? When you sing, are you standing or sitting?

Can you post a video of you singing something? Maybe that can help us determine a solution.
  • gusLgusL 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 8
    i went over the old videos again in the course and i may have found the problems but for information sake:
    Breathing to my stomach (abdomen/diaphragm )
    i possibly was overfilling my lungs.(or something in that sense). just to be clear: Should i take a full breath into my diaphragm? or maybe less?
    posture:back up straight, not tilting back or head/face in any direction
    also i am sitting, i understand that it should consequently cancel up to 30% of my support but i feel vulnerable standing. I grow tired and cumbersome more quickly.

I'd love to post a recording or something but i don't happen to have my microphone on me, as i will be able to once i get home (on a trip)
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Make sure that when you breath in your rib cage expands. I usually fill my lungs up to half their capacity. I usually record my songs sitting down lol so I can relate to you. Observe your shoulders and your chest. Are they rising too much? If they are... Then you are breathing in incorrectly. The video @HuduVudu sent is a perfect example.