Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

Beginner after one week

Hi,
I am an absolute beginner, I never sing before but I like music and wanted to learn to sing, so I came here(weekend warrior-HTS-pro). At this moment I am on the weekend warrior part, after a few days I noticed an improvement in singing high notes and the sound is brighter. I am slowing moving from 'not able to sing' or sing false to be aware when the sound is not good and/or with practicing comes to a better sound.
I did not expect that I noticed this already after a week, so I am very happy with this program!
I still have a lot to learn, but I'm glad to get to know this program.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Awesome, Afrak! You will notice even more changes as you continue to work Ken's program. You haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet!

Thanks for updating us!

Bob
  • gregorypaigegregorypaige Pro Posts: 4
    edited August 2017
    There is no way a beginner can do these warmup exercises on Vol 1 !!
    It seems like he is going on and on and on to show how good he is rather than inspire or lead a novice. I am not a good singer, admittedly, but I in decent shape cardivascular-wise, but these "warmups" are enough to make me lightheaded and not wanting to continue.
  • LuffyLuffy Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 34
    @gregorypaige Maybe you're getting too tense during the warm ups. You should try take them easier and only do as much as you're able for until you get better. I know you definitely shouldn't be light headed from them, or even close.

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited August 2017
    @gregorypaige,

Not all students are alike. I notice that you haven't submitted any demos to ask for help. Let's hear you in the Volume 1 student area, on a couple of Volume 1 exercises, so we can help you.
  • gregorypaigegregorypaige Pro Posts: 4
    Thanks for the responses.I was just venting my frustrations the other day, I guess. I don't dig whiners and I certainly came off as one. I guess I should know better than to think I can keep up with Ken, right off the bat. I just assumed that what he was showing, was what needed to be done in order to get any benefits. That's probably not correct, hopefully. I will do the exercises the same as I would any other muscle building exercise from now on and just gradually increase the degree of difficulty. I'll also post a video and hopefully get some constructive criticism to help me along.
    There you go. Your approach to the course will make a huge difference in what you can accomplish. There is work involved, and sef-evaluation, as well as feedback from your peers and the moderators.

Ken's methods do work. You can be successful with this program if you try.

We'll help you to succeed.

All the Best!

Bob
  • acrumlyacrumly Pro Posts: 11
    Hey All,

Talk about a challenge, if I can do it, anyone can. You should see the X-Rays of my neck after a C4-C5 fusion. What a mess, screws, and metal plates right behind my vocal cords.
    I know it sounds bad but I have been singing in the car and karaoke all my life and I'm now 53.
    I am also a bass player and just started playing in a band recently that leaned on me to sing as well, So here I am.
    I found right away that I do have a pretty good voice tone wise but have some pretty bad habits that need your assistance. After a week I did find it less stressful on my voice and I'm not blowing myself out as much. I can now sing in the band setting and I'm not as horse the next day. The one thing Ive noticed is the exchange to the head voice is much smoother. After my neck surgery it took me about a year and a half to be able to swallow anything without water and anything resembling a High note gone.

Thank you for helping me, so far so good, I see improvement every day.

Tony
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    Thanks for sharing - that's great!
  • JFronckJFronck Member, 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 16
    I too am a beginner. This has been my approach to the course so far. I am going through the videos at a fairly fast clip. I am writing down the exercizes to do like I would if I were weight training. I am practicing; however, I don't expect to improve or keep up with Ken until I understand all the verbage and concepts. When I finish the entire lessons, I expect to have strengthened my vocal biceps. I am then going back through all the lessons again. This time, I will have greater breath control, posture, and diaphram core strengh. At this point, I can get through the basic lessons. I do plan to buy the next level courses. In my mind, I am willing to spend as much time as needed to succeed. How fantastic will it be to just walk into a karoake bar or club and just blow the mic up. No matter how long it takes, I am not giving up.
    @JFronck that's awesome! Yes don't give up - that happens faster then you expect pretty often )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    What also helps in the beginning is to make a check list of the main components you need to be doing such as: Posture, Free of tension, rib cage expansion, take your breath, mouth open wide, throat open, etc.......Ken repeats the checklist quite often during the volume 1 lessons/demonstrations.

Peace, Tony
    Yes check list is helping a lot. And RELAX in capital letters. (That's what I do ahahah)
  • ClaudeSingClaudeSing 2.0 PRO Posts: 13
    edited January 2019
    I will be 65 in February 2019. I love to sing and play music. I know I need guidance in this field and it took me 2 years of waiting and then found Ken. I was debating between two other online teachers and for some reason never got hook with either of them. Now that I am hook with Ken love every minutes. Watch Vol 1 and did some practice. Then I watch Vol 2 then realised there is no way I should do Vol 2 if Vol 1 is not mastered. So I practice once or twice a day the Dudes and Divas. Yes I practice both so I can go further with my voice. So here is a question. When you do workout you should take one day rest before going back to the same muscle. Will practicing voice twice a day be enough or to much?
    @ClaudeSing

At first twice a day may be too much. Just go by the way your voice feels. If your voice seems tired, then you may not be in shape yet. Give yourself some time, and your voice will begin to grow, and you will be able to go longer.

You are right about not moving on to Volume 2. This is all about doing daily practice and allowing yourself time to grow. Some notes will be beyond your reach right now, but later on, you may be surprised to see how much your voice is growing. Ken recommends an hour per day, 5 or 6 days per week. Rest at least one day per week.

If your voice feels tired, then give it a break. It will grow stamina as you move along. Most students need at least 12 weeks on Volume 1. Many take 6 months or even a year. Move along at your own speed.
    Does anyone knows of a good Voice Analyser Apps?
    I saw about 20 on Google Play and it seems that no one can agree that it is good or bad. I am thinking that maybe there are not compatible with their device, but who knows.
    I have a Samsung S8+.
    Thank you in advance for your reply
    ClaudeSing
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Claude, @ClaudeSing

I think that at first twice a day may be to much, too. Hold your horses. I have been on Volume 1 for half a year. Personally, I noticed that my voice really started to grow on month 4. So, really take your time. Even if you stay on Volume 1 for more than 12 weeks your voice will grow anyway.

Doc
    I found two good apps from the Google Play. gString tuner and the only thing this one does is check if your instrument is tuned properly and can also check your voice and you can see what note your are trying to sing. The second one is HI-Q mp3 recorder, so you can record your voice up to 10 minutes and then play so you can hear how you are doing. Between these two I am happy. Any gadgets that can guide me and my voice are good to have. My feeling is that when you start something and all goes well, perfect. But one small deviation can cause issues later and now you have to fix/adjust/sometimes start over, in my book this is not a good thing. Yes, we make errors and we will fall down but eliminating some of those is a much better road. Happy singing.
  • ALFAALFA 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    In how many weeks/days should we work with each video? One video each or is that moving too fast?
    You need to keep watching and re-watching the videos until you get to the point that you feel like you know just about everything that's in them. Take a break if your mind starts wandering. Even after you are very familiar with the video lessons, you should come back and re-watch them periodically, and you will always see something that you missed before. In addition to watching the videos, after you learn how to do the exercises in the videos, you will want to do the audio exercises for about an hour per day, 5 to 6 days per week.
  • SirinkaSirinka 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    Afrak said:

Hi,
    I am an absolute beginner, I never sing before but I like music and wanted to learn to sing, so I came here(weekend warrior-HTS-pro). At this moment I am on the weekend warrior part, after a few days I noticed an improvement in singing high notes and the sound is brighter. I am slowing moving from 'not able to sing' or sing false to be aware when the sound is not good and/or with practicing comes to a better sound.
    I did not expect that I noticed this already after a week, so I am very happy with this program!
    I still have a lot to learn, but I'm glad to get to know this program.

Hi ☺