Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

New singer, NEED HELP!

I've been practicing volume 1 for 3 weeks now, every day! I do see noticeable changes but I still feel lost. My routine starts off with piano workout and then I move on to the audio workout for dudes with the addition of diaphragmatic training afterward (altogether 45m). I don't know if I'm on the right track, is there anything you can suggest? or am I doing just fine? Also, should I neglect high notes until I can actually reach them with my chest voice because I feel like its damaging my vocal cords like I feel a horrible pinch there near the throat area and I also realize that it's sabotaging my technique, right as I thought I have the technique down, going for the high notes then destroys what I had going because I start tensing in the throat area and I again, build muscle memory for that and resets everything I have going. And is it normal for my voice to be raspy after my workout? I need advice, this is very frustrating. Sorry for all the questions, I desperately need help.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited March 2019
    @ferdi112 , hi, welcome to the forum :) you should make sure to get your status changed so that you get access to the pro area of the forum. the cool thing about this is that you can ask and get feedback, so don't be sorry, it's good that you ask instead of going down the wrong path and adapt bad habits.

it is ok to do the piano scales, but a lot of people recommend to stick with Ken's scales first, because you can copy him better if you hear it at the same time. if you get to notes you cannot reach in the chest pass, just skip these notes, and join Ken on the way down once you are back in your range. stretching means that you will have to aim for notes that are a bit out of range, but not FAR. you don't want to kill yourself. I have to admit I am not sure what to do with notes which are too high in the head voice exercises, I guess skipping as well?! let's hope for @highmtn and @HuduVudu to join in and answer that one.

the raspiness does not sound like it should happen. you can always post your scales for evaluation, it might be that on top of over-stretching, you might sing the scales to loud.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @Klaus_T gives solid advice and I recommend that you follow what he is saying.

I will add this.

I've been practicing volume 1 for 3 weeks now, every day!
    Do NOT do this. Let me repeat that so that I am overly clear DO NOT do this. Your voice is a muscle and like every muscle, if you continually exert it with no down time, not only is that counter productive but severely damaging. Take AT LEAST one day off every week (I take two). If you want to have longer hours on the days you do practice that is fine, but do not push so hard as it will set your voice back. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

And is it normal for my voice to be raspy after my workout?
    Absolutely not. This is a sign that 1)You are pushing your voice too hard and 2) You are using too much air because your support is incorrect. When you are in the student area I will be able to provide more detailed information on what specifically you need to do to correct this.

Here is the link that you need to follow to get access. https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#
  • ferdi112ferdi112 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    edited March 2019
    Thank you guys so much for taking the time to answer my questions. You really saved me, I noticed that my voice has been declining and it's very frustrating for me. I will take all this advice, thank you guys a huge bunch. You're a lifesaver!

I didn't know there was a student area forum. I followed the steps and requested access.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @ferdi112 , no worries! you will find lots of helpful and nice people on here, so feel free to ask anything. in fact, the course would be much less useful (and fun) if it wasn't for this forum.
  • ferdi112ferdi112 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    Also, one more question, I forgot to ask. With regards to the course, what's the most optimal practice routine you can offer. I have a lot of time on my hands I would do anything!
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Read the PDF in Volume 1 this will lay out your routine.