Home Off Topic

You're My Best Friend (Question)

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZpZQG2z10
At 1:06 and 1:59, by now I can reach C5 notes. But for some reason this song gives me a tough time when it comes to the C5's Freddie hits here. How can I replicate that song he gives it here?
@highmtn @doc_ramadani @victortang @HuduVudu @Gaston_Jauregui @blondiewales @bentk

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    That is his full chest voice. That is the area that I keep telling you you need to work on. It is a big deal in opera to be able to pull C5 full chest. Granted the opera singers are doing C5 sustained and Freddy just pulled up to this like you would in a LAH triad, but still it isn't easy and it must be trained.

As a point of reference I can pull A4 full chest semi-consistently.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Placement, vowel mods, support, chest/head voice ratio etc. all play roles. Some people sound as if they are belting everything, but there can be head voice there too. It sounds pretty chesty in this case, but chest can be light and 'thinned' out. I experience this as going 'towards' head voice.

The phrase prior to the C5 could also give troubles, as you have to move between vowels and words. Did you try just singing the C5 in this song without the prior phrase? Just an idea. In some songs, the phrases can be really tough, and not the range. A few songs i cover give me that trouble, and some aren't even that high for me. Then you know you have to change something. Usually you have to keep an eye on the vowel changes, given that support and other technique is going well.

Maybe you can explain what it feels like when you are singing this song, and particularly the C5 areas? Does your voice start to distort? Too much pressure somewhere? It might give us a clue.

All the best,

Ben